cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Struggles with using windows from ArchiCAD 8.1 Library

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to model a building that has brick on the outside and a 2x6 wall on the inside. The problem I am running into is I only have the windows that came with the ArchiCAD Library 8.1. They seem kinda hard to use especially on this project. We have a bunch of different conditions where we have a double hung window, double double hung, triple double hung, picture unit with a double hung flanking both sides, some have transoms, some do not. It would be great if there was a unit that was flexible enough so that I could do all of these different conditions and have them be one all one unti instead 4 or 5 different ones. Maybe I am missing something that is already here right in front of me. I really don't have any money to throw at this at this time. Any ideas
6 REPLIES 6
Dave Jochum
Advocate
mikeadams wrote:
...The problem I am running into is I only have the windows that came with the ArchiCAD Library 8.1. They seem kinda hard to use especially on this project...
You're hitting on one of my top wish list items. Mulling windows and having trim work properly is darn near impossible with the AC library. I know you said you wanted a solution with no $$ involved, but Theometric Door & Window Builder does what you want. The price (other than $$) you pay is dealing with a complex, cluttered, slow, hieroglyphic interface. Bottom line is that at the present, there is not a good solution, IMHO. Please join us on the wish list.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
TomWaltz
Participant
I'm inclined to agree. I love the power of the Door & Window builder.

The manual for it, while large, does not quite seems to get the point across. I always feel like if I could get better with it, I can make any door/window I want.
Tom Waltz
tsturm
Newcomer
Our office has created a part (window) which calls other windows together so that we can get trim to run around the opening. If you were to mull windows together that had trim, then the trim would interfere with the flanking window. So we created a window part which calls windows such as double hungs and places them side by side and squeezes them down to fit the given opening. You control the called windows using past parameters.

This might be the trick you need. It will take some time to create the object if you are not comfortable with GDL.
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
You guys may already have read it, but I posted a wish list item that would pretty much take care of this whole issue (and then some). I know it isn't much help right now but if we can throw some more support behind it there is a better chance to see it sooner rather than later.

If you haven't already read it go to:
http://www.graphisoft.com/community/archicad-talk/viewtopic.php?t=1436
Anonymous
Not applicable
mikeadams wrote:
We have a bunch of different conditions where we have a double hung window, double double hung, triple double hung, picture unit with a double hung flanking both sides, some have transoms, some do not. Any ideas
This is pushing my own barrow - but Fastwindow3 & fastdoor3 from Objects Online should meet your requirements. Cheaper and faster than alternatives. Try the demo version.
rgarand
Booster
I am quite new to ArchiCAD and I have been able to resolve part of your problem. Mulling of windows works when you play around with the options settings within the parameters fly out in the ArchiCAD object library. Specifically the "Aling to door/window on side. This will allow the side trim to work correctly when mulling windows and doors. As for transoms and stacking windows vertically...I too am at a loss, unless there is an object that has a transom parameter built into it.
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000