Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Timber Framers using Archicad?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am involved in residential design, specifically with timber framed houses. To clarify for the international members here, this means using timber larger than 6x6's (8x8, 8x10, 6x8 etc) and not 2x4's which seems to be the nomenclature outside of North America. I have googled and searched for examples of timber framers using Archicad but have found very little. I know that log home builders like Archicad (possibly because of ArchiLog). I presently use a combination of Autocad, SketchUp and Cadwork. Cadwork is an timber specific program (generates CNC code etc) but I don't really like it for the architectural development and presentation side.
My questions are-
1) Do any of you know of good examples of Archicad being used for timber design?
2) Is native Archicad the tool for timber design? I am aware of Framewright but this seems over kill for what I'm looking for. Objective looks quite useful but is it being supplanted by the morph tool?
3) I need an acis (sat) file at the end of my design process in order to bring the design into Cadwork. Is there an easy process from Archicad?

Kris
25 REPLIES 25
MrC
Advocate
Kris We looked at objective ,and were tempted,but the morph tool takes care of any customizing we need to do to the standard beam/column tools in archicad.(very useful for modelling steel plates for example;engineers,in our seismic zone like steel…!) As most jointing is limited to a standard range (mortised/dovetail/timberlinx…) in our shop,I model without showing jointing details (scarf and decorative excepted) Keeping all timber frame elements on their own layer makes it easy to publish shop drawings using section or elevation tools. We would not built without archicad,very useful with our clients from concept to finish,material lists etc,. We don't do CNC as the cost of trucking timbers doesn't make sense,and anyway, we like using sharp chisels ...

Any other timber frame Co's out there using archicad?
ILIFFE ARCHITECTURAL

BRITISH COLUMBIA

macbook pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

AC 21 USA (latest build)
Stress Co_
Advisor
Off-topic Query:
Dave-
Did you create a custom vectorial hatching for your timbers or is that something you found online?
It's nice.
Screen Shot 2014-03-24 at 1.31.26 PM.png
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Dave Seabury
Advocate
Marc

Thanks, it is one I made. If I can figure out how (or if someone can tell me) I'll up load it.

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
Stress Co_
Advisor
I think it's:
Attribute Manager > Fills> Select the fill> Append>> Save as…

And THANK YOU
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dave wrote:
Marc

Thanks, it is one I made. If I can figure out how (or if someone can tell me) I'll up load it.

David
Hello Dave
I've made a simple one before, but yours certainly out does anything I've made and as you found out the AC one doesn't cut it.
Yours is impressive, looks like real pencil drawing.
I looked in the GRAPHISOFTs BIM Components but did not find it.
Maybe you haven't uploaded it yet?
If your not going upload to Bim Components, could I also have a copy?
You can PM me and I'll give you my email.
Thanks
lec
David Maudlin
Rockstar
lec1212 wrote:
I looked in the GRAPHISOFTs BIM Components but did not find it.
Dave Seabury's signature shows that he is on AC15, which won't work with Bim Components. The simplest may be to save the .att file (as per Marc Corney), zip the file, then attach the file to a post in this thread.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Kris:

Nick asked me to chime in on this discussion. My name is Mark Christopher. I've used ArchiCad since version 3.14 back in 1988 and have wrapped my entire practice around its power. One of the project types I do is facilities for Christian ranches, camps, conference centers and the like. They tend to be in wilderness locations which seems to call for heavy timber construction, in some cases timber frame construction. I designed an open air dining pavilion for JH Ranch a few years ago, intending that the timber frame would be built the old fashioned way by a craftsmen in Montana. In the end, the owner's representative identified a log home builder in Tennessee who uses CadCam and a CNC process to produce their projects, as to turns out, at half the going cost of the hand crafted alternative. I used ArchiCad to fully develop and detail every timber, bolt, plate, and the like. I exported an IFC file, which HearthStone imported, tuned up, created shop drawings, and fed to their CNC machines. I believe they used something like CadWorks to bridge between my files and their equipment. The project turned out to be a complete success at a considerable savings to the owner. Let me know if I can help further.
Dave Seabury
Advocate
David

I guess a profile isn't much good if you don't keep it up to date!

Here is it fill pattern. Originally created for logs, it works well for timbers.

Enjoy.

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone!
And special thanks to you Dave!
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mark,

Thanks for your answer.Sounds like a reasonable workflow judging from your project and my own experience. Do you have any images?

Kris