Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall intersection and priority based connections question

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am having a problem with wall intsersections. My walls from the storey above are intersecting with the ones from below as they overlap by 200mm to hide the slabs. Despite having the same building material, and thus the same intersection priority number, the walls from the upper level are subtracting from the ones below, as can be seen in the 3D image.

This isn't really a problem, except that it is showing as a hole in the wall in plan. I can't understand why it would show like this. Even if it is subtracting, the subtraction is well above the floor plan cut plane, so it should show up as a solid wall, which it is.

Regardless, how can I make it so that neither wall subtracts from the other? I would have assumed that having the same intersection priority number would achieve this.

Capture.JPG
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is the floor plan view. Any help much appreciated!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If there is no specific reason to do otherwise, try to set the "Show on Stories" fields of these intersecting Walls to "Home Story Only". Then you will not see the missing Wall pieces at their intersection.
The reason you see them currently is because their intersection is calculated in 2D since the upper Walls hang down into the vertical range of the Story below them (because their "Show on Stories" field is set to "All Relevant Stories", the default value). Thus ARCHICAD calculates the 2D intersection between the intersecting Walls, in which case one Wall crosses the other and this shows on their 2D as well. The upper Story Walls are not visible in the lower Story because they are above the Floor Plan Cutting Plane, but their effect on the 2D of the intersecting Wall is visible.

As far as which intersecting Wall cuts the other: I think in case their Building Materials have the same Intersection Priorities: the one created later will cut the other. Later modification of either intersecting walls does not change this based on my test. Only if you Cut (CTRL+X) a Wall from a project, then repaste it (CTRL+V) will change this, because then the Wall instance is deleted and the pasted instance will be count as a newly created instance. With this trick you can influence which Wall cut the other. At least it works for me. (But this is just a trick for future reference, setting the "Show on Stories" fields to "Home Story Only" will solve your immediate situation.)
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Great, thanks very much for the advice! Problem solved