cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What do you think should be done to get Archicad a bigger market share ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I personally find ARCHICAD way more powerful, easy to use, faster and all in all innovative than other solutions like Revit. However since Revit is backed up by Autodesk and long years of Autocad dominance, ARCHICAD isn’t leading in terms of market share, what do you think GRAPHISOFT should do better? Do you think it’s enough for them to just push for a better product ? Or is there something else you would do ?
273 REPLIES 273
henryL
Enthusiast
Maybe a little more connection with the user base ?
Even autodesk is moving in that way
https://trello.com/b/ldRXK9Gw/revit-public-roadmap
henryL wrote:
Maybe a little more connection with the user base ?
Even autodesk is moving in that way
https://trello.com/b/ldRXK9Gw/revit-public-roadmap

LOL!
(*dry laugh)

We talked about this over a year ago when we were discussing the (now sadly defunct) Corona for ArchiCAD plugin development process and how they also a had up a Trello board and were using systems like this to dialog with the userbase and create an information flow between the developer and the users and keep users up to date on what was being worked on, what the roadmap going ahead was and just their general thinking in developing the plugin.

At the time we noted that it would seem odd for any Software company to not have a similar system for dialoging with their users about the development of upcoming features (the McNeel folks have the Serengeti board for Rhino3D and Grasshopper, to facilitate the discussion of their future versions development and the current Work-in-Progress versions being tested by users and allow for more open feedback from testing and open discussions), and how Graphisoft were just way far behind the curve on this.

So imagine the surprise to find that even their biggest rivals - who used to be notoriously and famously super Standoff-ish towards users,....so much so they got slammed for it big time (more on that in a bit) - are also going the same route and now have a Trello board set up themselves.

I guess in their case, that angry letter from their Big name user clients last year did have some effect in pushing them to be more connected and open with customers about the development of Revit.

I think in this day and age any company worth their salt (specifically software development companies) not having this kind of frank, open and constant dialog with their customers regarding the development of their software and the way going forward (i.e. an actual roadmap) is just completely out of touch.

Meanwhile, Graphisoft, be Graphisofting.

(* A little off-topic:
I noticed from the Revit Trello board on that link, they're working on a lot of features I wouldn't want (but at least they're working on them or considering them), others than I'm stunned they still don't have in Revit at this late stage (but at least they're working on getting them), and of course, some that I wish we on this side even had an idea or hope that they might want to include in ArchiCAD (multi-leader tags, Slope/Elevation markers on ramps, Curtain wall mullion tags...),.......but of course, we'll never know.
It's also nice seeing the actual faces of the Development heads on there with video links of them discussing these features. Just nice to know that actual human beings are working on these things. Never underestimate the importance of the human touch and the aspect of making a human connection.)
rob2218
Enthusiast
DGSketcher wrote:
Intuitive - I like that word, it implies anyone with a basic skill set can work with the software without having to constantly wade through a manual to do the basics. Even after 25 years of AC use there are still essential elements that frustrate me as they don't work as expected.
Agreed....and it seems no matter HOW many years of upgrades you purchase......certain functions just were not designed with an architects mind set in place. For the most part, Archicad is 90% intuitive...sorta...better than REvit I'll say.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Eric Milberger
Advocate
Do anything that helps the bottom line.

More libraries, parts, and assemblies

Add better or rather more support to the forum.

Have open classes and question sessions for different levels of users

Help us Create Virtual Drafting rooms. I'd for example want to provide a zoom room for anyone to jump in to. But to be just like in a office - conversation about the product over the cubicle of space.
Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner
Podolsky
Ace
ArchiCAD must move to complete AEC solution: Architecture, Engineering, Construction. ArchiCAD is great platform, but is not covering all needs on the market. Currently something ArchiCAD is doing just great, but something is not - and I don't think it's right to say "Because we concentrate on architecture". Globally companies trust to Revit more - just because AutoDesk started to promise to cover all. They do it of course, but do it not really good. Well, Revit is playing with time - since they introduced new feature and until this feature started to work well - takes ages, but who cares? Very typical for American business - most important "It works" - and doesn't really matter how. Revit has problem with graphical cards on Mac's (using Bootcamp) - maybe 10 years this problem existed - but who really did care about it?

So, what to do to increase ArchiCAD popularity?
1. Complete MEP tools. It was good move to include MEP modeller to ArchiCAD 24, but it actually quite out-dated and requires major review of the features. For example import does not work OK.
2. Tools for structural engineers - rebars, load calculation.
3. Tools for energy distribution calculations. For example simulation how heat is spreading in the building (I guess using radiosity algorithms). Light distribution too.
4. Additional modelling tools - panelling, joists, studs, ceiling systems.
5. Tools for Virtual Construction - construction timeline and simulations. Better scheduling.
6. Make old versions of ArchiCAD totally free - let say keep 5 versions as a buffer, but let to anyone download and use ArchiCAD 19. Without technical support or bug fixing.
7. Keep in mind, that automation and AI is coming everywhere. Even new Mac chips has dedicated processor for neural networks. Prepare for that - start to develop tools, that can control the whole program via algorithms and scripts (that later can be generated and controlled by AI).

After being involved into several Virtual Construction projects I met quite a lot of limitations. To build high quality Digital Twin on ArchiCAD takes ages - it requires more GDL programming, some tools are missing. ArchiCAD technicians are not so advanced - so it moves slow and with mistakes. After such an experience I came to conclusion, that BIM - how it expected to be - make life of architects, engineers, suppliers and builders - does not work. I'm not saying that Revit can offer something better (it even worst). I'm trying to say - today BIM applications cannot deliver what promised.

And if ArchiCAD will handle such a complex task from architectural project till complete delivery of digital information on site in the nearest future - then it has all chances to move Revit from its position.
DGSketcher
Legend
Podolsky wrote:
ArchiCAD must move to complete AEC solution...
I heard a rumour that AC25 is coming with a new tool that you just take a photo of your site, tell it the basic building function you want and ten minutes later using AI and Grasshopper a full set of construction documents for all disciplines are published. I can't wait.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
jl_lt
Ace
DGSketcher wrote:
Podolsky wrote:
I heard a rumour that AC25 is coming with a new tool that you just take a photo of your site, tell it the basic building function you want and ten minutes later using AI and Grasshopper a full set of construction documents for all disciplines are published. I can't wait.
Joke aside, i have seen this sentiment of lately with "could you please make my software as easy as drawing by hand?". Should this be the goal of software like Archicad or Revit? On bad days i dont know what to make of it anymore. I think a tool should make complex jobs easier while mantaining or improving the level of complexity of said job. If mantaining the tools takes more work than doing the job with brute force, then something is wrong either with the workflow or the tool you chose.

I think some perspective would be interesting: Personally, the change from 2d cad and 3d models disconected from said 3d models to fully integrated 3d model from which you extract all your information is so vast that i still cannot believe and somewhat regret the amount of time i spent redoing all 2d drawings after some jerk client decided to make yet more changes.

I guess the transition from hand drafting to 2d cad was probably even more life altering, and it would be interesting to know from people who have already made the leap to parametric and algorithmic workflows from Archicad or Revit feel about it.
Eduardo Rolon
DGSketcher wrote:
Podolsky wrote:
Not Grasshopper. PARAMO!
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

DGSketcher
Legend
PARAMO!
jl_lt wrote:
I think a tool should make complex jobs easier while mantaining or improving the level of complexity of said job. If mantaining the tools takes more work than doing the job with brute force, then something is wrong either with the workflow or the tool you chose.
Very true, and this is why GS need to focus on customer need rather than trying to be all things to the construction industry. In my own little world I have some complex GDL objects that do what I need and save me a lot of time, but they are specific to my needs, to the majority of other users they would be irrelevant clutter. AC needs to hit that sweet spot between having the right tools for their users, a simple adaptable workflow and an uncluttered user interface. If you widen your discipline catchment then inevitably you will have too many irrelevant tools and a complex interface. I am repeating myself but the original Sketchup was a fantastic piece of programming that gave maximum return for the least amount of tools, it is something a lot of developers could learn from.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Podolsky
Ace
If talk about AI.
Actually AI should work exactly this way - you are saying to computer - I'm building this size house in that location - and getting complete set of documentation in 10 minutes. Then workflow will be - to choose right option from what was generated by AI and fix some errors.

Today we get use to how Google and another search engines are working - but actually you give several words and receive huge massive of data - web-links, photos, music, books, shopping... Or how designed and function smartphones. But in 1980 that would sound absolutely fictional for most of us.

But to tailor the BIM software to this level must take time. Making libraries and objects (in programming terms) that can communicate with AI engine. Don't forget that each element of the building is very typical. By this reason structural engineers are using building elements that can take standard load - without additional load calculations (even if they are saying - they did load calculation). Construction - it's a lot of typical, standard elements that all fixed together. So, knowing and classify these standard elements of the building and creating right database set will give good foundation for further AI algorithms.

Graphisoft must build absolutely clear roadmap how to move ArchiCAD towards fully automatic AI solution. If it will happen in next 20 years - doesn't really matter. Important to choose right direction of development.