Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Where to scale and why?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I've noticed that there are two ways to scale a drawing on a layout.

1. In the view settings.

2. In the drawing settings.

Which is correct and why?

TIA

Adri
21 REPLIES 21
TomWaltz
Participant
In the View Settings will adjust your text/dimensions to print at the size you assigned to them (for example, 8 points).

In the Drawing Setting, it's more of a photographic scaling, just enlarging or reducing everything.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem is that the only element that is scalable is the text tool yet there are a number of other tools that produce text eg dimensions, zone stamps, labels etc.

If you have a large floorplan you may well have the need to show this in different scales so how do you handle the way these non scalable text elements get screwed up when you change the scale in the view? Isn't the only way to avoid these problems to set your scale in the drawing settings?

TIA

Adri
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Typically you create two different views of the floor plan, one at each scale, then import those views as drawings onto a layout.

More obscurely, if you wanted to plot views, you have the option to set the text and markers according to a Fixed Size (the original size) or Resized to Plotting Scale (the scaled size).

I'd go with the former anyday. Predictable and consistent.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not plotting views.

I'm going from model to view to drawing on a layout.

The problem is that there's only the text tool that scales. Try putting a zone stamp onto your model which you're working on at 1:50 and then putting that area into two views one at 1:100 and another at 1:200. The text for the zone stamp goes bananas.

Same goes for labels, dimensions etc.

Cheers

Adri
Anonymous
Not applicable
The simple answer is that the best practice is to set the scale in the view and not override it in the drawing/layout. There may be some exceptions to this but I haven't seen any.For multiple scales from the same viewpoint, make multiple views.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nobody so far has commented on the issues about scaling and zone stamps etc...

Could you look at my previous post and comment please. I must be missing something...

Thanks

Adri
TomWaltz
Participant
adri wrote:
Nobody so far has commented on the issues about scaling and zone stamps etc...

Could you look at my previous post and comment please. I must be missing something...
I think your missing the general concept of "scale".

Dimensions, Markers, and Zones DO change size, based on your current working scale. Text CAN, depending on how its units are set.

The idea is that the text, zones, markers, or dimensions will always print the same size regardless of what scale you are working at.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK Tom

But my first question is: Why have different abilities for tools that all produce textual output?

Secondly, if you place an 8mx8m room on a plan and put in a default zone stamp at 1:100. Then for some reason you have to use the same plan at 1:500 the result is seen in the attache pic. I know that you can go back in and change the text size but it may (and is) be alot of work to change on a large project. That's why I have users choosing to "scale" (and I think I understand the term) at the drawing settings stage. It doesn't seem right to me either but they have a good argument for doing it there, don't they?

TIA

Adri
Anonymous
Not applicable
So you want your zone stamp to be the same size relative to your room, and still be able to read it at 1/5th it's original size?