Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Where to scale and why?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I've noticed that there are two ways to scale a drawing on a layout.

1. In the view settings.

2. In the drawing settings.

Which is correct and why?

TIA

Adri
21 REPLIES 21
TomWaltz
Participant
adri wrote:
OK Tom

But my first question is: Why have different abilities for tools that all produce textual output?
Text has the ability in case you use it to make signage.
Secondly, if you place an 8mx8m room on a plan and put in a default zone stamp at 1:100. Then for some reason you have to use the same plan at 1:500 the result is seen in the attache pic. I know that you can go back in and change the text size but it may (and is) be alot of work to change on a large project. That's why I have users choosing to "scale" (and I think I understand the term) at the drawing settings stage. It doesn't seem right to me either but they have a good argument for doing it there, don't they?i
Why would you change the size?

When you print them out, the two zones will look the same.

Are you new to drafting? One major goal is to have all text print the same size and to not show too much information at any one scale. If you have that much info at 1:100, it should not be on the 1:500 plans.
Tom Waltz
Aussie John
Newcomer
text in any object ( and a zone is a type of object) can be coded to proportionally size with a change in scale eg

i=i*original scale/A_

where i= text height
A_=view scale
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Signage in Archicad? 🙂

Anyway...

what you're saying is that a zone stamp that is correctly sized at 1:100 should be turned off through layer management if the same plan were required at 1:500?

Aussie John. Where would you insert this code to scale text?

Adri
adri wrote:
what you're saying is that a zone stamp that is correctly sized at 1:100 should be turned off through layer management if the same plan were required at 1:500?
huh? No -- this is why the text/symbol is sized with the display/drawing scale -- so that the same stamp can be used at all scales
adri wrote:
Aussie John. Where would you insert this code to scale text?
This code goes in the GDL script of the stamp object.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
huh? No -- this is why the text/symbol is sized with the display/drawing scale -- so that the same stamp can be used at all scales
the same zone stamp used at all scales will either big too big or too small for some and fine for others... ie it does not have the same ability as the text tool to be 'scaled' rather than 'fixed', or have i missed an option in the zone/label/dimension settings??

adri is right, if you make a zone/label/dimension in 1:100 and require that to be also visible in 1:500 or 1:20 the text size of this zone/label/dimension relative to the stuff around it will be too big or too small... it cannot behave like the text tool can... so we end up with duplicate info sometimes if we want this zone/label/dimension to be used in views of drawings that will be printed at more than 1 scale....

to further clarify why this would be necessary... say i have a flat at 1:50 that i've used a zone on it. then i have a general floor plan at 1:100 showing all the flats.... i want that zone to be readable at both scales and not be too big so as to be over the walls or too small so that it is not readable. i can do that with normal text but not with the zone (or label, or dimension)
Dennis Lee
Booster
There is an object called 'Super Zone' by Tom Waltz - that addresses this problem, and it's really good.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Tom's website

We use the Super Zone, which can display differently at different scales (although the stamp remains the same "relative size", you can move it to different locations at different display scales and have an alternate Room Name (for abbreviations) -- it also allows for different parameters to display at different scales: area, occupancy load, room size, etc.).
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Anonymous
Not applicable
Keep in mind that the size you are specifying for the text in objects, labels, and text element is the PRINTED SIZE. It will look different at different scales, but if you put three different scales of the same area on a layout the building elements will be different sizes, but the text will be the same size in each drawing.

Did that help?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Keep in mind that the size you are specifying for the text in objects, labels, and text element is the PRINTED SIZE. It will look different at different scales, but if you put three different scales of the same area on a layout the building elements will be different sizes, but the text will be the same size in each drawing.

Did that help?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did that help?