Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Why Archicad ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have worked in Archicad for the past 1.5 years after being trained in Autocad for a year. I fell in love with Archicad and am about to purchase version 9 from a Graphisoft Dealer. My question is just a general one to open up some pro's and con's. Why should I continue to stay with Archicad when it is so hard to find a job in it as opposed to Autocad and what sets it apart from Autocad ? What about products like Intergraph has like Smartplant 3d. Should I learn it instead of investing more time in Archicad ?

Thanks and thanks for a great forum.

Born2Draft
52 REPLIES 52
Anonymous
Not applicable
Krippahl wrote:
There is a big difference between architecture quality and project quality.
Archicad and other BIM software allows you to make really good projects.
You get every (almost) technical document automatically, which means a LOT of less errors.
This is not to say that your architecture becomes great.
I like to see myself as an responsible architect, so documenting a project as good as it is possible is really what I consider 90% of my job description. If, after this is guaranteed, I can make some nice architecture, so be it. But my first responsibility is to the paying client, who demands an error free project.

That is something apparent here with some firms too, the difficulty is the balance between the two, with regard to standard stuff in archicad, well, no doesn't work as well when your working on some of the existing buildings in Edinburgh. (at least I shoudl say, not that I have learnt how to improve on this yet) But agree with you when it comes to new build, what ever type it is. For me, design is the most important, followed by project follow through, with everything nailed down to the last nut and bolt, as you rightly say, our duty is to the client wanting an error free project. Here we already have some pretty good stuff to help us with that, strong contracts, the National Building Specification, and normally on projects over 100,000 a Quanity surveyor, who keeps his beady eye on the costs for us.

I suppose that is the most difficult thing for Graphicsoft is producing a package that works in any country with any traditional detailing that may occur, the danger with too much automated stuff is that inappropriate detailing is carried out for a particular location.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lighting90 wrote:
I suppose that is the most difficult thing for Graphicsoft is producing a package that works in any country with any traditional detailing that may occur, the danger with too much automated stuff is that inappropriate detailing is carried out for a particular location.
This is more of a mindboggling problem that may seem at first glance.
After all, if you travel around the world, you see so many common things in architectures: walls, roofs, pavings, structure, renderings, etc.
What you do not realize is the incredibely diverse situations you get on the contractor, materials, legislation, prefabrication levels.
There will probably never be a 100% customized software to takle with this issue.
The best you can hope for is a very robust platform that lets you fiddle around and make your own templates/favorites.

We also do a lot of renovation and I have never encountered a problem that could not be solved on ArchiCAD. And I do not do GDL scripting

Returning to the subject,or part of it, I would state, IMHO, that ArchiCAD is better prepared than, say, revit (here comes Scott...) or Microstation to deal with all the quirks of Europe construction market.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have to agree with you on the been better prepared, but, and here is the but, Graphicsoft can not just sit and think arh we are the best, as the others will catch up and be past them in no time at all...

Good discussion, some of it might seem off topic, but I am learning myself at least why archicad may be a better cad program than others. and this is something the question was aimed at....

Give me a few weeks and I get going with 9.0 and we will see if I can put more down towards why archicad should be choosen over others...

Anonymous
Not applicable
This job was a restauration work, all done by the BIM principle, and it worked fine.
Special objects (ewe? of roof, windows) where build as a non parametrical CGL free object, no hassle.
BTW, rendering was done in the new ArtLantis, which I cant recomend enough (no, no comission here )
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lighting90 wrote:
Have to agree with you on the been better prepared, but, and here is the but, Graphicsoft can not just sit and think arh we are the best, as the others will catch up and be past them in no time at all...
No danger on that. market forces wont allow
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, sunshine, whats that?

The render looks great, these are the sort of things we need to do in my office, (I am new to the office, and so far the archicad 7 has been used incorrectly, a problem I think with regard to lack of training and autocad users using the program.)

Hopefully once I master this program, like I said, I will be able to write a list of reasons why we should use archicad over other products.

I have a lot of negative comments though at the moment, but I am hoping that the move from 7 to 9 wil clear a lot of those negatives up..
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's a hard topic
I tell you my opinion
In the beginning (of my CAD experience) it was only AutoCAD.
No more pencils and fatal mistake on the drawings It was great to be able to correct a design and reprint it in a few seconds.
But after a while it was annoying to make only lines and hatch.
Then it came ArchiCAD.Of course an engineer needs a plan to understand a construction and not beautiful pictures.BUT it makes our life more beautiful and our costumers more enthusiastic.
I like ArchiCAD.I work in an office where they use Autocad like pencils,I am using AC and i make a plan in the half time they do (and i am not a very experienced AC user)
I also use AutoCAD.Sometimes it is very convenient

conclusion:I don't know,try both and make your own decision
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why ArchiCad? A valid question. I've been getting a bit frustrated by GS lately. It's a wonderful piece of software, but I'm starting to wonder weather I jumped on the bandwagon a bit too early. For a company that puts out such a high end piece of software, I would expect a MUCH MUCH MUCH more aggressive marketing/educational policy. We've just gotten inches from possibly switching to that stonage software standard, Auto... whatever, for no other reason than there's hardly anybody that knows how to use the sofware and most people run away when they see that we're using... "Archi... what's it called again?".

I've also been looking at local schools (plenty in our area), and all they offer to teach is Autodesk sofware (ACAD 2006, Revit, etc). How are we supposed to be profitable if the cost of the sofware increases and nobody knows how to use it. You have to buy upgrades for all the seats, and lately more and more add-ons, and then you have to spend the money to train Autocad devotees who constantly bemoan the change. I understand them (I've been there too), but I don't understand GS.

Is it just me? Does anybody at GS understand what I'm talking about and interested in doing something? I even started throwing around the idea of teaching it myself at the schools, but seems like GS is too lazy to get involved. Don't know how much longer I'll be able to put up with this before I end up switching to... Revit? Don't think that it's better than AC, but at least there'll be more people who'll know it, and therefore more offices will probably use it and so...

K, that's all I had to say for now. Any amen's out there? How about solutions?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sergio wrote:
Why ArchiCad? A valid question. I've been getting a bit frustrated by GS lately. It's a wonderful piece of software, but I'm starting to wonder weather I jumped on the bandwagon a bit too early. For a company that puts out such a high end piece of software, I would expect a MUCH MUCH MUCH more aggressive marketing/educational policy. We've just gotten inches from possibly switching to that stonage software standard, Auto... whatever, for no other reason than there's hardly anybody that knows how to use the sofware and most people run away when they see that we're using... "Archi... what's it called again?".

I've also been looking at local schools (plenty in our area), and all they offer to teach is Autodesk sofware (ACAD 2006, Revit, etc). How are we supposed to be profitable if the cost of the sofware increases and nobody knows how to use it. You have to buy upgrades for all the seats, and lately more and more add-ons, and then you have to spend the money to train Autocad devotees who constantly bemoan the change. I understand them (I've been there too), but I don't understand GS.

Is it just me? Does anybody at GS understand what I'm talking about and interested in doing something? I even started throwing around the idea of teaching it myself at the schools, but seems like GS is too lazy to get involved. Don't know how much longer I'll be able to put up with this before I end up switching to... Revit? Don't think that it's better than AC, but at least there'll be more people who'll know it, and therefore more offices will probably use it and so...

K, that's all I had to say for now. Any amen's out there? How about solutions?
I am FOR every word mentioned.
Thanks,
Joseph
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why not Archicad?