Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Window and Beam intersection. Please Help.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey there,

I have a modelling issue I'm trying to fix, iv got this wall and I using empty windows to make holes in it, but I'm trying to then put different elements through the walls like beams to create custom window sills and what not but they keep cutting the beams, ill send a pick to show what i mean, Iv tired looking for fixes on the net but haven't had much luck! let me know what you think.

Cheers

Screen Shot 2015-01-15 at 10.56.05 am.png
5 REPLIES 5
Matt Balaam
Advocate
Assuming you are using ArchiCAD 17 or 18 I would think that the intersection priority of the building material being used for the sill is less than the priority of the building material being used by the wall.

Bump up the priority of the sill material and it will no longer be cut by the wall.
AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
mRalin
Newcomer
The wall with the opening must have a different layer priority then the layer of the elements that pass through the opening. The elements are cut by the opening in the wall, not by the wall building material.
Hope that helps.
DGSketcher
Legend
Depending on the level of detail etc you may wish to consider using Solid Element Operations to form the opening if you are creating a detailed assembly of components.

The other thing to try is making the opening smaller than the components you are trying to build around it. You may still need to use SEO's if the material priorities don't make the right "cuts" though.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Matt Balaam
Advocate
mRalin wrote:
The wall with the opening must have a different layer priority then the layer of the elements that pass through the opening. The elements are cut by the opening in the wall, not by the wall building material.
Hope that helps.
That's actually not the case, the elements are cut by the wall. You can pass a beam through a window opening with the same layer priorities as long as the beam is using a building material with a higher priority than that of the wall.

Take a look at the attached image, both beams and the wall all have the same layer priority, however the left beam has a higher building material priority than the wall and the right beam has a lower one. One is trimmed and the other isn't.
Beam Wall Trim.png
AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
mRalin
Newcomer
I had a similar modeling situation with walls that pass through windows.
If the reference lines of the walls intersect, the opening will cut regardless of building materials priorities. You can avoid this situation if you put the walls in layers with different intersection priorities or if you manually align the walls reference lines so that they do not touch.
Other elements besides walls seems to behave as expected.
Wall Opening Intersection.JPG