Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

beams and reflected ceiling plan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone tell me how to show my beams on my ceiling as a solid line rather than a dotted line.

We want dotted line for floor plan and solid line for ceiling plan.
15 REPLIES 15
Eduardo Rolon
AC 20 graphical overrides do the trick.
Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 3.47.29 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Another thing Graphic Overrides (GO) will be great for is changing the 2D Representation of multi-story elements on the various stories.
For example, if you have a Roof and you may define a Graphic Override Rule to show its outlines with a different Line Type (for example, dashed line on lower Stories).
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jesikuh123 wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to show my beams on my ceiling as a solid line rather than a dotted line.

We want dotted line for floor plan and solid line for ceiling plan.
Chris wrote:
I have virtually no GDL skills....
Nathan wrote:
And there still isn't a solution?
ejrolon wrote:
I am not sure I read this revived, nine-year-old thread correctly, but if the issue at hand is "how to draw the same overhead beam with Solid line on RCP plan and Dashed line on regular plan?", then you can do that without having any GDL knowledge or waiting for a future ARCHICAD 20 release.

Beams are usually located above the Floor Plan Cut Plane and, thus, are shown on a floor plan with dashed line by default.
If you move Floor Plan Cut Plane above the beam's elevation (even beyond your upper floor level) all beam outlines will turn solid.
Floor Plan Cut Plane position will be saved with your View, so you can make different Views for regular plan and RCP.
You can work on agreeable pen colors and weights by saving specific pen set for your RCP-related View in a View Map (separate from your regular floor plans).
You can also use Model View Options to fine tune how beams look in plan (with or without centerline). This setting is also savable with View settings.

Floor Plan Cut Plane settings dialog became first available in 2006 in AC10, so the original poster could have used this technique in 2007.

Am I missing something?

------------------------
p.s.
ejrolon wrote:
Actually, I don't think they would in this case, or should in general.

Correct me in I am wrong, but it appears that your sceenshot shows an override rule that you can't save with a specific View within a View Map (beam overridden with this rule will always be zigzagged regardless of View settings) defeating the point by the original poster of having the same element (beam) to be shown differently (solid or dashed) on different views (floor plan and RCP).

If the issue is to simply change beam outline to Solid Line instead of Dashed/Hidden on every view within a View Map, I don't think you need to wait for AC20 ether.
You can simply make sure that Floor Plan Display of the beam in question is set to "Projected with Overhead" and select "Solid Line" under "Outlines/Overhead Lines". Works in all versions of ARCHICAD.

Side note: I think that newly-found simplicity of AC20 graphical override will leave anyone with less than stellar understanding of ARCHICAD mechanics totally bewildered by unexpected results in different locations on Project Map or View Map due to multi-layered custom override issues conflicting with each other.
People will stop learning how ARCHICAD is structured and will start overriding all options they can find, in essence, severing long-standing internal connections inherent to ARCHICAD's holistic BIM model approach.

My personal opinion is that AC20 graphical overrides will do wonders when used with caution, but will wreck havoc within a project if used with little planning.
Beam RCP.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Couldn't see if anyone has mentioned 3d documents as an alternative way to produce RCPs. Since i discovered this method, I haven't done a RCP the conventional way again...
Basically, from plan window, create new 3d document, then select created 3d view, open settings dialog and change projection selection from plan to ceiling.
Benefits:
-Accurate RCP of of 3d model view; no need to worry about line types;
- Can turn on vectorial hatching if required;
- Can adjust cutplane to show or hide furniture as required (i.e. hide items below cut plane);
- Easy way to check modelling of ceiling/soffits etc.
alemanda
Advocate
@Anton Kazmin

I think what you proposed works only in simple situations ... so simple that maybe never happens ... I mean when you place the FPCP above the beams' level, yes you get the beams with a solid line, but you also cut something belonging to the upper levels and not the walls you see in the normal floor plan ... So it's not a RCP.

AC20, on the other hand, helps to do achieve a better result.
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)

32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620

Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440

www.almadw.it
Eduardo Rolon
Anton wrote:

p.s.
ejrolon wrote:
Actually, I don't think they would in this case, or should in general.

Correct me in I am wrong, but it appears that your sceenshot shows an override rule that you can't save with a specific View…
My personal opinion is that AC20 graphical overrides will do wonders when used with caution, but will wreck havoc within a project if used with little planning.
GO's can be saved on a per view basis so I can have one View with Zig-Zags, another copy with a GO for solid etc.
Anton wrote:

Yep. With great power comes greater responsibility…
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator