cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

complex profile bug

Anonymous
Not applicable
One problematic issue with the complex profiles (I have only played with the walls) is that if a profile is edited, all placed instances revert to the height of the profile as drawn in the profile editor and walls do not keep a different height that might have been given when it was placed in the model. It makes you think twice about editing any profiles if you have very many of them already placed in the plan. The option to have the walls change to the drawn profile height could be a feature, but only if it was an option and certainly the default should not be this way.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
You see stretchline (or editing line etc.) in profilemanager window.
You can adjust wiht these lines, than outside these lines the dimension will be not changed in case of change of profiled wall.
TomWaltz
Participant
I've noticed that as well, usually from editing the profile itself, that all "stretchable" profiles revert to their default height.

I'm sure somehow that's considered a "feature", not bug 😞
Tom Waltz
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
One problematic issue with the complex profiles (I have only played with the walls) is that if a profile is edited, all placed instances revert to the height of the profile as drawn in the profile editor and walls do not keep a different height that might have been given when it was placed in the model.
This sounds alarming Mike, but I'm not sure I'm grasping the problem. It seems like more of a feature to me. I think Tom's right, as it seems to work as it says in the good guide:

If a newly stored profile is a modified version of an existing profile, and you do not rename it, then the modifications will be applied to all profile elements of this type that have been placed in the plan.

If you do not want to store the profile, and need the profile only for a one-time use, you can apply it to a selected element in the model, using the Apply to selection button. The selected element will turn into that profile element.

Is there more to it?

Cheers,
Link.
TomWaltz
Participant
I would have thought the amount of wall "stretch" would be a parameter that is set for each instance of the wall and be maintained even after you edit the profile. That does not seem to be the case.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
I would have thought the amount of wall "stretch" would be a parameter that is set for each instance of the wall and be maintained even after you edit the profile. That does not seem to be the case.
I think it's clear that this would be the desirable behavior (with an option to revert all instances the default). I assume that this is something that they could not get to or did not think of (or consider important) during development (I don't recall any of us catching it either). Perhaps it could get into a hotfix if it's not too complicated. I really doubt that it is "by design."
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
This certainly would be the desired function. It seems that if a stretchable area has been defined in the profile, a previously placed wall using that profile should maintain a manually set dimension. If a user goes to the effort to set a height of a wall, usually that has some significance that wants to be maintained. I can certainly see the advantage of having a profile change for many "non wall" elements that use the profile wall as a mean to model.

I guess the work around will be to duplicate the profile, edit and give it a new name. Select the previously placed instances of the profiled wall of a given height using find and select. Change the selected walls to the newly defined profile and re-enter the height of the wall. Repeat for every wall of a different height. a few more steps than I would have liked and no easy way to make sure all instance of the profiled wall have been changed to the updated profile.

I would call this a bug...
__archiben
Booster
TomWaltz wrote:
this isn't just the desirable behaviour, this is essential. another over-looked or poorly thought out, (or both) usability stuff-up.

it gets worse.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Potato Farmer
Mentor
Mike wrote:
I would call this a bug...
Big time!
Regards,
Geoff Briggs