cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

curtain walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am currently using Archicad 17 (student license) and I can't get it to allow me to place a curtain wall (in 3D or floor view). I have followed all of the instructions as outlined in all of the Archicad Help documentation. Additionally when I click the PLACE button the popup disappears but nothing is placed and it is confirmed in that the software shows there is NO UNDO available which would be there if the curtain wall was placed. It is obvious that I am not doing something right and I am hoping someone can let me know what.

Regards.
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Try this:
Hold down the ALT (Windows) / OPT (Mac) key and choose the File\New\New & Reset All menu command.
After this check if ArchiCAD now allows you to place the Curtain Wall in this new file.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks laszlonagy but unfortunately it didn't work. Now just as I was about to reply I kind of remembered something in the example. In the example it shows placing the curtain wall across an open side. In my design the area I want to place the curtain wall is on top of an existing 2' high wall located on the concrete floor slab. Now when I go to place the curtain wall the bottom is offset to the height of the 2' wall and the height of the curtain wall mates with the concrete slab floor on the next level. I was just wondering if the small 2' wall is what is causing the issues.

Matt
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
So you are saying that you start a brand new project file and even there you cannot place a Curtain Wall? That would be very unusual.

If you place the Curtain Wall on top a 2' existing Wall, it should be placed. With Display Order you could decide which one overlaps the other. Also, the Curtain Wall should be visible in 3D.

Can you show some images or put a short video somewhere showing the problem? It might be some small thing we are overlooking. For example, in the Shoe Element in 3D Dialog, Curtain Walls are not enabled to be displayed. Then you go to 3D and place a Curtain Wall and after placement you will not see the result.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried it with a new design and Archicad places the curtain walls fine including on top of existing walls. My building has a file size over 200MB and as such I can't attach it and zipping it won't shrink it enough. I still can place them on my building design and I was wondering if it would make sense to have the file looked at by someone as I might be doing something simple and stupid wrong. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Matt
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Can you record a short movie of what you are doing?
There are lots of free recording softwares available.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Laslo:

I have made a small movie but the file is just under 10 MB (just over 4 min. long). How do I get the file to you?

Matt
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There is Dropbox or similar services.
Or there is Yousendit for sending files.
Or maybe even email is enough. You can send it to graphiforumadmin (at) gmail (dot) com.
But I will be away the next two days so maybe only on Tuesday will I be able to look at it.