Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

file size shinks after working in osx

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have worked the last couple of days at home on my Mac and noticed that when I brought the files back to work they had decreased in size. The pln file I had worked on went from 19266 KB to 18628 KB and a lbk file I had worked on went from 29130 KB to 7940 KB. All I did was add to both of these files. Have others noticed this? Does anyone what the difference is? Just curious - the files seem fine.
5 REPLIES 5
Aussie John
Newcomer
Preference settings can effect the file size. For instance Show preview in navigator will increase the file size in ArchiCAD and Save the cache file in file in Plotmaker wil substantially increase the file size. Maybe somehow these settings have been changed.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Andy Thomson
Advisor
I notice this all the time when working between mac and pc generated files. I have no idea what the difference is or why.

The pc seems to generate smaller pln files, but much larger lbk files.
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Layout Books grow large easily because the images are stored as bitmaps (on Windows. On MAC they are converted to PICT, that's why MAC LBK's are usually smaller)

Now, In PlotMaker 9, images are stored in their original format. However, it is not enough to re-save your LBK in PlotMaker 9. You have to re-link your JPEGS etc. to be stored in their original format. This could reduce LBK sizes significantly in PlotMaker 9.

Greg
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Karl Ottenstein
gkmethy wrote:
However, it is not enough to re-save your LBK in PlotMaker 9. You have to re-link your JPEGS etc. to be stored in their original format.
Thanks for sharing that tip, Greg. Didn't know that we had to re-link.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
andyro wrote:
The pc seems to generate smaller pln files, but much larger lbk files.
Depends on whether you are saving the cache with the files or not.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen