cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

losing model in perspective

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have this thing that i dont know how to get around. sometimes i build a model, go to the 3d window to look at it and it dissapears.

so i try zooming in and out, spinning round and round and still cannot find the model in 3d view.

is there a way you can tell archicad in 3d projection settings to look at the model as opposed to somewhere in space?
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.
First, make sure that you don't select any particules before you switch to 3D window. Sometimes I select single light to change settings and forget to deselect before go to 3D and have the same empty screen.
Second, make sure that you focus on the model using 3D Projecting Setting preview window.
And finaly; sometimes openGL get lazy so you need to use "rebuild" function to make him work. It is also good to do it before every final rendering to make sure your lights, materials and settings are up-to-date. Greetings.
Dwight
Newcomer
and sometimes you get spun around and can't locate the model. To double check, switch to orthographic mode just see what is actually being imaged in 3D.
Dwight Atkinson
Bruce
Advisor
I run into the same problem from time to time and have no idea how to simply solve it.

In orthographic I can locate the model no trouble. In perspective I can't find it - and there is no model showing in the navigator preview palette. Is there a way to zoom extents in the preview palette?

The only way I have been able to fix this is to place a camera, select it and then open the 3D window.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
__archiben
Booster
Bruce wrote:
In orthographic I can locate the model no trouble. In perspective I can't find it - and there is no model showing in the navigator preview palette. Is there a way to zoom extents in the preview palette?
orthographic is a 'zoom extents' type of view which is why you can easily locate using that mode.

in perspective, the chances are you camera and target elevations are way off the model elevation - by which i mean you could be floating several miles in the air above or below your model.
The only way I have been able to fix this is to place a camera, select it and then open the 3D window.
i normally pull up the '3D Projection Settings...' dialogue (Cmd+Alt+3) and then shift-click and Alt-click to relocate both camera and target into the model. a quick glimpse at their elevations also tells me that i'm in the correct x-y plane.

couple of tips:
if, once you've relocated your camera and target, you see an extremely wide view angle from the camera - you'll probably find that one or the other elevations is vastly different from each other. (you could be looking up from the model elevation several miles into the air)

if you are lost, rather than use the camera/walk motion mode, lock the target and spin around it . . . because the likelihood is that you are a long way from the model, it should spin into view relatively quickly . . .

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks chaps, the shift click and alt click worked in relocating the camera.
Karl Ottenstein
~/archiben wrote:
i normally pull up the '3D Projection Settings...' dialogue (Cmd+Alt+3) and then shift-click and Alt-click to relocate both camera and target into the model. a quick glimpse at their elevations also tells me that i'm in the correct x-y plane.
If they would fix a small bug, it can be even easier. The Shift-click and Alt-click shortcuts position the camera and target in the Navigator Preview window! The bug (on my machine anyway) is that you can only issue one of these commands. To issue another, you have to change focus to another ArchiCAD window - for example, I click on the View Editor which is above the Nav Preview on my second monitor. Then Nav Preview will accept another camera positioning command.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
__archiben
Booster
Karl wrote:
The Shift-click and Alt-click shortcuts position the camera and target in the Navigator Preview window!
thanks karl! i never realised that..... but i never really use the nav preview. working on a laptop means that i try to minimise my palettes.

thanks
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any good solution to find the model in perspective view that is not mentioned here?
thanks
__archiben
Booster
josepon77 wrote:
Is there any good solution to find the model in perspective view that is not mentioned here?
'Fit In Window' . . . sometimes works, sometimes not. it's good in 10.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t