Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

railings - are they worth it?

Patrick M
Advisor

are the railings ever going to develop to be a solution instead of a problem?

Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 12.27.46 PM.png

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2
11 REPLIES 11

oh, I never took note of the terminology for the connection type. yeah; does not clean it up to be gooseneck or direct connect; just varying degrees of unacceptably messy

BIM solutions and trouble shooting (self proclaimed) expert. Using Archicad 26 5002 US on Mac OS 11.5.2

In my opinion, no.  The railing and stair tools are almost never useful to me because they never do exactly what I need them to do.  That - and I probably already have a very similar stair in some other project that just needs a little editing for a new situation. 

To me, all the Tools for Stairs, Railings, Wall Framing.... are pretty much useless for the same reasons.  You can copy and paste these things into a new project and then just tweak it a little for the new situation - much faster, and in much better detail than the Tools can do it.  And the Interactive Schedules can be automatically populated as you work.  

As with everything you use ArchiCAD for, how you model it depends entirely on what you are going to do with it.   If you are not generating Shop Drawings or Interactive Schedules, and all you need is something to represent a Stair with its fundamental parameters, then perhaps the Tools are just what you want.   But considering all the things I need to do with the Virtual Building Models I am making; I honestly don't have much use for the Stair or Railing Tools.  

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25