Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

sloped sided mesh

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to use the mesh tool to create a window planter box with three sides sloping in at the bottom and a flat back. Is there a tutorial or instructions for creating sloped sides on a mesh?
Thanks,
John
17 REPLIES 17
Stress Co_
Advisor
Dwight wrote:
Never mind about the cutout for soil - just make the top plane of the roof dark.
You added the cutout by? ....... selecting the roof and "subtracting out" the rectangle? Your example is open on the bottom? (a very effective drainage system).

Marc
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Dwight
Newcomer
hahaha.

CheapnNasty™ means you bring your own planter bottom.

Cut hole in roof with roof tool, not SEO, apply same angle to inner edges.

This is one of those stage tricks that uses ArchiCAD modeling best - where the guy makes three moves and voom! the thing is done.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight,
Thanks for the tip. We didn't know about that control for roofs.
How are you getting the inside and outside faces parallel? Each time that I try this, the roof object has outside faces tilt out and the inside faces tilt in.
This object really is quite easy using formZ. I can cut moldings at the top edge, put drain holes in the bottom. Is there an after market parametric modeling tool for ArchiCAD?
Thank you,
John
Dwight
Newcomer
This is a basic tool that anyone looking at page 98 and experimenting can get

in this case, to get the boards parallel. the outer edge was 75 and the inner edge was 105

there's a relationship adding and subtracting from 90 degrees there - karl would know the math term? "normal?"

a situation like this needs "mechanics mind" to solve.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
a situation like this needs "mechanics mind" to solve.
Dwight,
That part about reading the manual and the "mechanics mind" helps to explain the problem. Do you know of an add-on for ArchiCAD that allows for parametric modeling (like modeling in formZ, 3D Studio, Rhino, etc.)?
Thanks,
John
Dwight
Newcomer
if you mean "freeform" modeling or "primitive" modeling, they all do it:

Silo
Modo
Amapi Pro
ArchiForma
Sketchup would do the planter with ease.

But if you look at some of ArchiCAD's primitive objects and that roof tool is versatile....

but none of them provide wave-arms-in-air-like-boossman simplicity.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight,
I like SketchUp but I want something that creates editable objects from within ArchiCAD otherwise I would just model in formZ and import the object into ArchiCAD. Ideally the object would be visually editable in 2d and 3d without going into a dialog box to adjust the shape. I don't mind going into a dialog to adjust the appearance, layer, etc.
Fabrizio has offered such great support for his other tools that I'm going to try ArchiForma.
What can you tell me about the other software packages that you mentioned. Do they work from within ArchiCAD?
Thank you,
John
Dwight
Newcomer
Something like silo is completely freeform and comes through as 3DS. smooth. hundred bucks.

I feel that freeform stuff is impossible in ArchiCAD while simple primitives - like planter boxes - are easy if one bothers to [snotty tone] apply one's self to the existing tools.[end snotty tone]
Dwight Atkinson