Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

wall priority help

Anonymous
Not applicable
not sure i understand exactly how wall priorities work..what exactly would be the correct priorities for this intersection to be accurate?

wall priorities.jpg
41 REPLIES 41
Anonymous
Not applicable
nats wrote:
You would think the composites would be programmed to automatically rotate their hatching to suit their orientation but they dont!
Yes, I would expect that to be the default setting but it's not. You have to turn it on in the composite settings dialog as Mike says.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This thread interests me because I've decided to run with composite walls as they give me proper window/door openings with cavity closers etc.

I've been struggling with the priority issues, and how to resolve a T-junction between 3 different wall types. Is a patch inevitable, or can I resolve by adjusting the priorities?

Also - you'll see I have a problem with the cavity closer: Archicad seems to be trying to guess which skin is the cavity - and getting it wrong.

Finally, for those occasions where I don't really want the wall to 'join' (e.g where the lining must run through for fire-stopping purposes: see the juncts of the partitions with the external wall in the attachment), I get round that by stopping the partition approx 5mm short of the junction. (I didn't want to change the priorities in the partition because it needs to join correctly with other partitions) The gaps don't show up on a g.a. drawing.

Keith

Archicad 10 (11 pending!) on Mac OSX 10.4
composite.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
It might work to offset the reference lines something like this.
The details would depend on how you want it to appear and the particulars of the composites.
The key part being to run the reference somewhere in the middle of the horizontal wall.
The others could probably be anywhere as long as they align with each other.

In any case you will need to adjust them to get a proper 3D clean-up.
The 2D may end up easiest with a patch.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can I put walls on two layers and have them intersect clean (after verifying priorities are such as those posted earlier in this thread)? I prefer to keep walls on various layers (Interior, Exterior; or New, Existing, Demo).

Is this possible, or does someone have a better suggestion?

I thought I knew how to use this program (tho certainly not to its fullest potential), but this new version has me stumped on a number of (previously elementary?) functions.

Thank you.

-J
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Jozzz wrote:
Can I put walls on two layers...////
Yes, open layer settings and set intersection group numbers.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
"~/archiben" wrote:
"aggie463" wrote:
not sure i understand exactly how wall priorities work..what exactly would be the correct priorities for this intersection to be accurate?

back up a little . . .

do your wall reference lines meet? and are the fill-types for each skin the same?

regarding priority intersections, the principle goes something like this:
structures with a higher priority will block structures with a lower priority. identical priorities will cleanly mitre if they're the same fill-type. (i think . . . or at least hope). the reality is much different since archicad's priority system isn't flexible enough, nor thoroughly implemented, in order to cover all possible intersections.

i base my composite structures - and beams/columns - on the following priority principle...

0 - Finish : Secondary - wet finishes such as paint, plaster, etc
2 - Finish : Primary - dry/panel finishes such as boards, sheet cladding, etc.
4 - Thermal/Air Space - all solid insulation skins plus non-core voids, cavities and air spaces
6 - Membrane - solid membrane skins such as asphalt, rubber, sarna etc.
8 - Substrate/Strapping - boards such as ply, particle, MDF, etc. and straps, firring, top hats for fixing
10 - Cavity/Air Space - core-only voids, cavities and air spaces
12 - Wall Structure : Beam Priority - bearing elements such as solid concrete, timber & steel frames, masonry that beams intersect
14 - Wall Structure : Wall Priority - bearing elements such as solid concrete, timber & steel frames, masonry that beams abut
16 - High priority bespoke use - use for walls to manually override beam priority '15' and wall priority '14' elements

Beam Priority Values

1 -
3 -
5 -
7 -
9 -
11 - Beam Structure : Wall Priority - Secondary structural frame elements that abut structural (12) walls and columns
13 - Beam Structure : Beam Priority - Primary structural frame elements that intersect structural (12) walls and columns
15 - High priority bespoke use - use for beams to manually override beam priority '13' and wall priority '14' elements

Column Priority Value

12 - Structural Columns Only - Due to inflexible archicad column priorities, use column tool only for structural elements!

does this help . . . or confuse you more?!

~/archiben

Your priorities are amazing!!! I just, now, understood the importance of the priorities of wall, beam and column! Thank you
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having a problem with a wall intersection.

One wall is a very thick stone wall; the other wall is brick. Both walls are finished with identical furring, lathe, plaster, and a wainscot.

I built each wall as a complex profile. First I built the stone wall complex profile and then duplicated it and just changed the stone to brick to ensure that all materials had the exact same fill and skin priority.

Both walls are on the same layer.

Both walls have the same wall priority.

When a brick wall intersects a brick wall it works perfectly. When a stone wall intersects a stone wall it works perfectly.

It looks fine in 3D.

Why won't they intersect properly in plan?

(By the way ArchiBen - thank you for the wall priority guide!)

~posting additional images in subsequent posts~
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is the complex profile for the stone wall. The skin priorities are shown.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Complex profile for the brick wall with skin priorities.
Anonymous
Not applicable
3D view of the intersection.
corner.jpg