cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Bill of Materials

Zdenko
Advocate

ok have read some of the threads and tried to visit some of the links which some are no longer in existence. we rely heavily on preparing materials list for our superintendents and shop managers. if someone can point in the right direction how to create one in AC would be appreciated.

i have looked at "elements list", but having difficulty understanding how to achieve my desired result.

example: i have walls that are comprised of logs or stud walls and need to generate material lengths that will show me total lengths for this example - either by layer or element.

don't reply if you're gonna be snarky and no i don't know how to script and program.

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based Sonoma 14.4.1

Archicad 27 (3001 USA Full Intel Based MAC)
Sonoma 14.4.1
9 REPLIES 9
Zdenko
Advocate

found some stuff under "lumber pack" after finding someone selling c5d estimating pack on youtube. will look to see if this avenue will take me to ac heaven.

Sonoma 14.4.1

If you want items like studs or logs in walls, then ideally you need to model each separate element.

That gives you the best control and most accurate quantities.

If you model it, you can count it.

But of course that is not practical if you just want to place a wall.

So you either need to set up properties that can do  calculations for you - i.e. number of studs based on length of wall divided by a spacing an then add one or two extra for the ends.

Then you also have to calculate top and bottom plates, noggins, header beams, etc.

All giving you property values that you can schedule.

Or you find a third party add-on that can do these calculations for you and even draw up the frames for you.

There is a basic wall accessory in the Goodies add-on, but I don't think it is any goof for quantities, but it will model the frames.

I can't recommend any as I have not had the need to use them.

Or I suppose another option is you use raw wall quantities and use an external estimating package.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I did model each element of the wall as you have stated studs top and bottom plate along with LVL headers. Figured it would be easier. It has been challenging and after seeing other videos of how the list feature of AC works it’s easier for me to simply do it by hand. maybe during our downtime during this fall and winter I can look into it a bit more to get ready for next seasons GC work. 

Sonoma 14.4.1

as always I am appreciative of your response Barry. 

Sonoma 14.4.1

When you say 'Lists', try not to go down the rabbit hole of the old and deprecated 'List Schemes'.

These haven't been touched in the last 20+ years and do not include elements from the newer tools (stirs, rails, openings and maybe the newer curtain walls).

It does still work and you can do more calculations (you have to know GDL) and i believe you can link to a database to include costings.

The Interactive Schedules have taken over from the old lists, although these are not good if you want costings as well.

Really only for quantities.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Oh boy that is exactly where I was. Thanks for the heads up and programming is something i don’t want to do. Had my fair share of fortran77, basic and C++ decades ago never again even if it is gdl. Reminds me of auto-lisp = lost in stupid parentheses 

Sonoma 14.4.1

@Zdenko, I share your view when it comes to quantity take off from the AC model for a simple residential dwelling. Although I have created my own XL spreadsheet like many others have also done. Exporting interactive schedules is probably where I would start the process if I was to solely use AC for QTO (Quantity Take Off).

Sure the C5D system is necessary for larger more complicated projects where more resources are allocated to pay for the time it takes to accurately quantify everything.

I haven’t found anything online where it takes you through the step by step process of how to extract data for a simple project in AC for quantification.

It would certainly be nice if someone could create a video on how to take off a simple dwelling like the small accomodation for an elderly relative, on an existing plot of land. Using AC solely and with the help of an XL spreadsheet.

All the examples I have seen online are way too complex and complicated. They need to show a simple step by step guide on how to do a tiny project as mentioned above so we can all learn the processes involved in only using Archicad and XL.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

@mthd not much i can add to your assessment and maybe this winter i can dig into it more. strat or gibson 😀

Sonoma 14.4.1

Yeah I like PRS, Stratocaster, Gibson, Gretsch, and fretboard width of around 42mm suits my hand. Any well made guitar that feels and plays well is cool 😎.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Setup info provided by author