Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.
SOLVED!

New Tab to link External Manual/Document

NILAM
Contributor

I am working on updating an existing Archicad File we use as a Template (pln file).  I have created a Bim Manual document and was hoping to add a tab in Archicad, so users can quickly get to the manual directly from Archicad.   The Manual is in Google Docs, so I could use a weblink or I could PDF it and link it.   I know there is a way to do this, but can't find any reference of how to start.

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon 14.2.1 Sonoma

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

In your Archicad program folder you will find a folder called "Documentation" where you can place PDFs and another called "WWWLinks" where you can place web links.

Of course you need to place these PDFs or links to those folders on every computer you use.

Otherwise in your template, you could place each page of the PDF.

If the PDF is on a shared network drive that everyone has access to, you can keep that PDF updated and it will update in your template as well.

Place the PDF pages in a worksheet and you can open that worksheet as a tab.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

Solution

Thanks for the ChatGPT suggestion!  I asked how to do this and was able to find the directions I needed.  For others reference:

On a Mac, the default behavior for dragging a website to a folder creates a .webloc file, which is specific to macOS. If you need a .url file instead, you can create one manually. Here’s how:

1. Open TextEdit (or any text editor).

2. Create a new document and switch to plain text format (in TextEdit, go to Format > Make Plain Text).

3. Enter the following text in the document:

[InternetShortcut] URL=your_website_url_here

Replace your_website_url_here with the actual URL of the website.

4. Save the file:

• Go to File > Save.
    • In the "Save As" dialog, enter your desired filename with a .url extension (e.g., MyWebsite.url).
    • Choose a location to save it and click Save.

Now you’ll have a .url file that can be used on systems that recognize that format.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
Barry Kelly

In your Archicad program folder you will find a folder called "Documentation" where you can place PDFs and another called "WWWLinks" where you can place web links.

Of course you need to place these PDFs or links to those folders on every computer you use.

Otherwise in your template, you could place each page of the PDF.

If the PDF is on a shared network drive that everyone has access to, you can keep that PDF updated and it will update in your template as well.

Place the PDF pages in a worksheet and you can open that worksheet as a tab.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
NILAM
Contributor

Thanks Barry. 

Is there a way to use a .webloc file in lieu of a URL file in the WWWlinks folder?  I can't seem to get the google doc file to convert to a URL file on a mac.

As far as I know they have to be URL addresses.

Not that I know what a '.weblock' file is.

Can you save the google doc as a PDF?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Davor P
Booster

Is there an analogue of bat file for Mac?
If so you might be able to create a silent installer for your office that can install Archicad, apply latest update, install goodies, and copy files to users device such as work environment, pdfs and links.
Nowadays you can ask chatGPT to write you code for bat files.

BIM4BIM - by BIM managers for BIM managers
www.bim4bim.com | audit.bim4bim.com
Solution

Thanks for the ChatGPT suggestion!  I asked how to do this and was able to find the directions I needed.  For others reference:

On a Mac, the default behavior for dragging a website to a folder creates a .webloc file, which is specific to macOS. If you need a .url file instead, you can create one manually. Here’s how:

1. Open TextEdit (or any text editor).

2. Create a new document and switch to plain text format (in TextEdit, go to Format > Make Plain Text).

3. Enter the following text in the document:

[InternetShortcut] URL=your_website_url_here

Replace your_website_url_here with the actual URL of the website.

4. Save the file:

• Go to File > Save.
    • In the "Save As" dialog, enter your desired filename with a .url extension (e.g., MyWebsite.url).
    • Choose a location to save it and click Save.

Now you’ll have a .url file that can be used on systems that recognize that format.

I needed this to be a document that can be updated easily without having to go to everyone's computer and relink the pdf each time.   ChatGPT helped me figure this out.

Setup info provided by author