cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Turning off layers in one LEVEL and not on the others

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a building with 3 levels.
i really want to have certain LAYERS turned on in 2 and turned off in the other.

It seems when i turn off a LAYER, it turns off in every layer and even my Perspective View.

any help would be super.
Thank you.
Ian
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
As far as I know you cannot display layers like that. Instead you will have to create separate layers to divide up the floors (ie only first floor objects go into the first floor object layer and so on) and separate layer combos to achieve what you want.
Anonymous
Not applicable
In plan views, this is fairly straight forward - save view of each floor with the specific layers turned off or on as required.

In any 3d, including elevations, sections, 3d document etc, the easiest way is probably to set up a separate layer for specific items on each layer that you can turn on or off as required (e.g. WALLS_level 1, WALLS_level 2, WALLS_level 3 etc.)

If you don't mind seeing the outline only, you can always create a new material with full transparency to assign to elements you want to see through.
owen
Newcomer
Yes thats how Layers work .. they are global.

You need to use Layer Combinations with saved Views to control the visibility on different levels, possibly also introducing additional layers to give you more control over specific elements (e.g you could have 'Beam Steel' and 'Beam Steel 3D' layers to separate elements you want to see in plan views from those only seen in Sections/Elevations/3D)

cheers,

owen
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
STOP using the Project Map for Construction Documentation!
It's purpose is MODELLING!

To answer your question: In View Map use Layer Combinations.
For layer Combination 1 use whatever layers you need, for layer Combination 2 use other layers, and so on...

and
Don't use additional layers that have the same elements! (like owen said). MODEL AS BUILT! Imagine having to extract a quantity list from a model that contains 3 or more beams in 3 or more layers...
arch. ernest atanasiu
AC 10-26 INT/GER/FR on Win 10/ Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
zeropointreference wrote:
Instead you will have to create separate layers to divide up the floors (ie only first floor objects go into the first floor object layer and so on) and separate layer combos to achieve what you want.
This is not necessary. Do not do it this way unless you are sure there is some compelling reason to do so (usually for export to something that doesn't have stories).

As others have pointed out, use views for different drawings and layer combos.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The way I was reading his question was he was partially asking how to display the 3D model while showing a layer on story 2 but having that layer off for the other two floors (when he mentions perspective).

I thought turning on or off a layer in 3D view affects all floors and which is why I suggest that you have to put stuff on separate layers if you want this kind of display.

Or is it possible to setup a 3D model with different layer settings for each floor at the same time?

Or maybe I just read everything completely wrong and it's just a simple matter of setting up views for the different floors and navigating that way instead of constantly setting layers so the current display is correct.
Or is it possible to setup a 3D model with different layer settings for each floor at the same time?
By 3D model are you referring to a 3D view (like a perspective) or the entire model?

Actually it is possible for both! And it is possible to have different layer settings for the same floor at the same time!
arch. ernest atanasiu
Anonymous
Not applicable
uisanata wrote:
By 3D model are you referring to a 3D view (like a perspective) or the entire model?

Actually it is possible for both! And it is possible to have different layer settings for the same floor at the same time!

If you know the answer, why not elaborate?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb_YYU3O_Ow

There was a better tutorial by Eric Bobrow, but I can't find it right now.
arch. ernest atanasiu