Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

DWG

Anonymous
Not applicable
As new as they come to Archicad v7.
Reverted for rendering qualities (hoping im making the right move as ive not much time to play about, but ive seen some examples)

What can you import from DWG files?

I currently use Architectural Desktop 3.3 and Revit but i need a program where i can construct a "solid" from Desktop and import it.

Can i import a 3D solid into archicad, i get error messages when i click File>Merge saying "Warning","undocumented entities found" ????

Any help from the archicad big dogs would be appreciated
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
when i few it in 3d parallel mode its there, when i hit perspective its gone ..?? somewhere.. cant seam to move about to find it either..

Bryan,

from the floor plan zoom out a bit from the cone position.

then from the image menu open the 3D projection settings.

hold the alt key or option on mac and click in the plan window of the perspective settings window.

then do the same with the shift key pressed.

you should now see the view cone. check the heights of the camera and target in the boxes beside the plan view window then press o.k. and go to the 3d window.

it's just a matter of getting the camera to look at the cone!
I use to have the same problems and now and then still do.
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks very much, youve been a great help. working through the night once again if there are any other student architects out there, your not alone!!
Djordje
Ace
Bryan,

Why import a cone? The one in your standard library does a much better job - it is parametric, it has few KB, and it is native.

IMHO you should revise your working methods with an experienced ArchiCAD user - solids are NOT the only way, however you are used to them. And, for the solid ops you are used to, you need at least ArchiCAD 8.

Good luck, and I am glad the list is providing you valuable info
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
hm thanks was using the cone as an example primarily to import a solid from desktop. What im going to do now i know i can is create a 3d draping thin canvas, sloping in 3 directions to cover a part of my building. I know revit cannot do this, im only guessing archicad cannot do this, so my solution was to import a solid from architectural desktop.

One niggling thing i have with archicad is the maneuverability. Is there a fast way to pan and to zoom or do i have to keep selecting the option with the mouse? I like to work with the keyboard and mouse at the same time, its faster.. ?
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
One niggling thing i have with archicad is the maneuverability. Is there a fast way to pan and to zoom or do i have to keep selecting the option with the mouse? I like to work with the keyboard and mouse at the same time, its faster.. ?
Brian.
In ArchiCAD, from ArchiCAD 8 and onwards, you are able to pan and zoom with your mouse. May be an upgrade is on the cards? .

This is not the only reason why you should upgrade, there are just too many to mention. Check out Djordje's post here. http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=2238#2238

It will point you in the right direction and will answer any questions you may have about the latest version of ArchiCAD.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
__archiben
Booster
bryan

if you have a scroll-wheel-with-button mouse you can pan and zoom using the scroll wheel -

by default, my setup is;

• scrolling the scroll wheel: zooms in and out
• clicking the scroll wheel button and dragging: pans

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
He is using ArchiCAD 7.0
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
BryanRichards wrote:
.. Is there a fast way to pan and to zoom or do i have to keep selecting the option with the mouse? I like to work with the keyboard and mouse at the same time, its faster.. ?
Bryan, In AC7 click on the Display Pulldown and you will see a list of the zoom commands with their associative keyboard commands. (ie. On PC, "Zoom In" is the Ctrl key with the " / " key And the "Fit to Window" (Zoom all) is the Ctrl key with the " ' " key.)

Hope that helps (HTH)
Keyboard Zooms.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
ahh, that works for me
Wish there were two control buttons on a lap top but now im just being fussy thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
BryanRichards wrote:
hm thanks was using the cone as an example primarily to import a solid from desktop. What im going to do now i know i can is create a 3d draping thin canvas, sloping in 3 directions to cover a part of my building. I know revit cannot do this, im only guessing archicad cannot do this, so my solution was to import a solid from architectural desktop.
I think I hear GDL Toolbox promo coming...