BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Warning! Cannot save Plan file.

Anonymous
Not applicable
For some reason I occasionally get this error while saving.

Cannot save Plan file.

It strange because sometimes I can save and then sometimes I can't.
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have exactly the same problem.
In my case, copy and paste to a new document is not an option.
I have been looking for the same problem in other post and so far I have not seen any solutions.

regards.
Sergio
Anonymous
Not applicable
This usually means that something has happened to the file or path name "behind the back" of ArchiCAD. This could happen if the network path has changed or if the file was renamed in the Finder or Windows Explorer while it is open. I have had this happen to me when I have put my laptop to sleep and moved to a different network node (in a Windows network - no such problem on Mac AFAIK). There may be other causes too.

You should be able to "Save as..." but not to the original location as I recall since I don't think the system will let you overwrite a file that is still open. Probably best to save locally, quit ArchiCAD, replace the original file and reopen it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK, Archicad 16 is doing the same thing on MAC OSx.

I was able to save to my hard drive but as soon as I selected to save to the server i got the dreaded:"Cannot save plan file."

I tried all suggestions and appear to have come up with a solution. Wether it works for you or not, only time will tell.

What I did was:
I opened the library manager and choose the option to: "Reload libraries and apply all changes" option as well as "refresh the status of placed objects".

After I did that, my drawing was able to save to the server.
Anonymous
Not applicable
What I did was:
I opened the library manager and choose the option to: "Reload libraries and apply all changes" option as well as "refresh the status of placed objects".
I have just tried this - unfortunately still no joy!

Could it be to do with missing objects!?
The pln currently has objects from library 9, 11, 12, 13, 14 - I know its shocking but the projects been going for years on and off. The file is a bit of a mess!

I have two solo .pln files each hotlinked into one another it is a real pain having to do a save as onto the desktop and then copy and replace the hotlinked file each time i make a small change to a file.

Cheers Chris S
Dave Jochum
Advocate
I have a very "clean" .pln on a stand-alone Mac returning this error. Library re-load worked for 3 or 4 saves, then didn't. Can Save As.. with no problem. I've never had this problem before and have been working on this file daily (more or less) for a few months.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Katalin Takacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
We got some reports that this message might appear when you try to save files from Mac to Windows Servers, although the steps of reproduction are not known yet. In most of the known cases closing all Finder windows on Mac resolved the problem.

I hope my suggestion helps.
Katalin Takacs
Dave Jochum
Advocate
I did a "Save As..." and have had no problem with the new file. both files are on my machine, so no network/server issues possible.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

We have the same problem.
We have more 60 licences of Archicad...
And we have introduce in our IT infrastructure a NAS of Network Appliance.
We are now in a lab test. The goal is to bind Macintosh workstations (10.7.5) in an Active Directory (Windows 2008R2) with homes users hosted on the NAS FAS2240 (shares are cifs).
The workstations are now binded in the AD and we can work without problem with all applications (Word, Excel, Textedit, etc.). Only Archicad 15 and Archicad 16 cannot save file on the home directory. We get a message (Alert ! The plan cannot be saved).
Curiously, sometime, the menu save or save as function ! Sometime not !
Very strange !
But we need to fix it as soon as possible.
We need to save documents from a Mac Archicad to a Windows server. This is essential in a professional environment.
Thanks a lot for your reply
Katalin Takacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Patrick,

Can you save the ArchiCAD files to the server if all the Finder windows are closed on Mac?
Katalin Takacs
Learn and get certified!