Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Teamwork & BIMcloud
About Teamwork, BIMcloud, BIMcloud Basic, BIMcloud Software as a Service, network settings, etc.

Best way to move an existing BS to another?

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Hi,

I want to move one of our BIM-servers to another virtual machine with better performance. Is the suggested way described here http://www.archicadwiki.com/Teamwork/TransferBIMServer the way to go?

I suspect everyone has to leave all their projects and then join on the new IP.

Regards, Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, I think this is the recommended procedure.

And yes, all Users should send in their Changes to the shared Project and leave the project before it is exported from the BIM Server and imported on the other BIM Server. That is probably the cleanest solution.
After all Projects, Libraries, Users and Roles are transferred, they should be able to just join the project again and continue working.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Actually, I just came across this thing in the Help Center:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/collaboration/teamwork/teamw...
What are BIM Project Backups?

BIM Project Backups contain model data, plus all BIM Server-related information, such as user data and roles. You can resume working as soon as the backup file is restored to any BIM Server – no need to re-add users or re-define roles.
BIM Project Backups are created and managed by the BIM Server without any user interaction. By default, a new BIM Project Backup is created every hour, but you can reset the schedule to fit your company’s needs.
This probably means that you could move the backup file from one server to another, then restore the backup on that server and it will restore the project file, plus all related Users and Roles, if I understand correctly.

If you use this latter method, please write back to tell us how it went,
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
laszlonagy wrote:
Actually, I just came across this thing in the Help Center:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-17-int-reference-guide/collaboration/teamwork/teamw...
What are BIM Project Backups?

BIM Project Backups contain model data, plus all BIM Server-related information, such as user data and roles. You can resume working as soon as the backup file is restored to any BIM Server – no need to re-add users or re-define roles.
BIM Project Backups are created and managed by the BIM Server without any user interaction. By default, a new BIM Project Backup is created every hour, but you can reset the schedule to fit your company’s needs.
This probably means that you could move the backup file from one server to another, then restore the backup on that server and it will restore the project file, plus all related Users and Roles, if I understand correctly.

If you use this latter method, please write back to tell us how it went,
I'll have a go tomorrow night. We have problems with reserving and presence and I hope moving to a new clean server will solve the issues. We have another BIM server running smooth as silk.

Edit: I'll try the backup you suggested maybe today. I'll move just two projects so it should be a fairly swift process. I'll be back...

/ Mats
AC 25 SWE Full

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
I chickened out... I did export-import...really simple and quite fast.
AC 25 SWE Full