Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Use graphic override to change one material in object

PVBergkrantz
Expert
Hello, I are doing tests using different materials on a complex model with multiple hotlinks. The method I am using is to put a material say "bottom story wall" on the bottom story of all the hotlinked files, and then change then in a bigger file use graphic override to select all material that is "bottom story wall" and use the surface "red brick" instead, or another one that used "yellow brick". This works very well for the most part, allowing me to quickly view and change the surface for many building in different ways.

However, I would also like to change the color of the window frames, or door blades and am not able to do it in this way. If I do a graphic override that filters out everything that uses the surface "window frame", it does not detect the part of the window that does in fact use this surface. I can make it filter out the windows itself, but if I then change the surface the whole window gets this surface, glass and handles and everything.

This is a very specific question but maybe someone else has some input that could be useful, or at least find this technique to be interesting for future use.
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

6 REPLIES 6
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
So far this has not been possible to do and as far as I know AC22 didn't fix/change this yet.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, as of ARCHICAD 22, Graphic Overrides always affect the whole element, it cannot affect only part of it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
PVBergkrantz
Expert
Okay, at least I know then! Thanks.
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can we have a poll about this? Not sure how to do that. I have run into the same thing. The lack of ability to control the separate fills / lines of the different materials in a complex profile kills the use of them in certain situations. A simple example for me would be a complex profile showing a concrete wall with a footing. In plan view, I want the wall to have solid edges with a concrete fill but the footing edges would have a dashed line. Using a complex profile for this construction saves a lot of time but the representation on a plan view doesn't work. Complex profiles are extremely powerful but have this built in limitation which puts a real limit on their use.
KrisM
Barry Kelly
KrisM wrote:
Can we have a poll about this? Not sure how to do that.
Go to the correct WISHES section and create a new post (try to make sure there is not a similar existing wish already).
When creating the new post, be sure to go to the "Create Poll" tab and set that up too.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
ananas
Advocate

Hello everyone! I am joining the topic and wondering if anyone found any workaround here?

I would like to change just one  material in object, but only in one presentation plans, so the origin of the material should remain the same.

It doens´t work with graphical overrides, is there any other workaround to achive that?