Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Working with LightWorks - Questions, Tips, Tricks...

Karl Ottenstein
Mark B's C4D thread was getting cluttered with LW issues, so I thought I should start a new one to talk about LW issues in general as we all get used to the new functionality. Hopefully, Dwight will share more of his tips and images here! 😉

My minor frustration of the day involves the SunObject and SkyObject lamps, as I'm setting up a new project template for 9.0.

You place one of each of these in your project - location doesn't matter- to get a multi-light sun, for soft shadows, and a multi-light sky dome, for a nice ambient effect. The params let you control the number of lights, etc. Then, you UNcheck "Sun" and "Ambient" in the LW photorendering settings, so that these lights will be used instead.

Here's the rub: If I place the SunObject and SkyObject off to the side of my printable area (they can go anywhere, but figure out where to cast the light) ... then when in the 3D window, when I zoom extents, the location of these lamps is included in the extents (even though they are invisible), and the model is too small. Solution: put the lamps into a layer that only shows up in 3D visualization layer combos, and place the lamps within the model area. Now they don't interfere with plan views, and don't mess up 3D extents either.

Well, one down. Here's the more unfortunate things about using these 'lamps'. When using "Sun" and "Ambient", harsh as they are, they are always ON, regardless of layer or selection settings.

But, if using this LW methodology with sun and ambient off, if you select just some elements, or perhaps a floor, or perhaps display everything visible (but happen to have the LW lamp layer off) ... then you're in the dark. These lamps have to be on a visible layer, and part of the selection set to produce light. Kind of obvious when you think about it...they are lamp objects after all, but not that obvious when you're used to the old 'sun/ambient' behavior.

I frequently render marqueed areas of a building for example. Can't do this with these LW lamps, unless I move them into the marquee.

Am I missing something, or will I have to just keep turning 'sun/ambient' on and off depending on what I'm rendering? On the plus side, the values of these checkmarks are saved as part of a view.

Looking forward to stories of other people's experiences as you dig into LW. 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
22 REPLIES 22
Dwight
Newcomer
But not really a "tip."

We should establish a new category for things that keep you out of disaster rather than mere productivity tricks.

More like an "Almost, but not quite obvious catastrophic duffus trap neatly avoided" of-the-Month.

There's other awards we should notice including Whiner-of-the-month. Instead of a sun chair or T-shirt, this award comes with a roll of duct tape.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
~/archiben wrote:
another 'tip of the month' award to mr nagy?
No slight to the most-helpful Laci! But, this doesn't really help with most of the issues in my post. This helps with one situation: select-all on a single story ... and even then, it requires that you turn on the layer that contains the lamps...which must reside within the model boundary box (or very close to it) to keep zoom extents working properly in the 3D window (if not in a perspective view).

It is helpful though, I agree! 😉

Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Thanks guys. This tells me one should always write down these ideas because you can never know who you can help with it.

I was thinking about Karl's (and probably others') problem a bit more.
Here is a not so dreadful workaround.

1. Place the SkyObject on the ArchiCAD layer. Define pen 91 for its color, plus Send it to the back so it won't cause trouble in your views and when printing. Show it on all layers. This way you will always have the 'invisible' SkyObject available for you.

Now, the next problem is to know if the SkyObject is included in the Marquee when you want to generate a 3D View.

2. For this, Save a Criterion in the Find & Select dialog as show in the first attached image. It will find the Sky Object for you.
Then zoom to show all. Place the Marquee. Go to Find & Select. Load the Find SkyObject criterion. Find the SkyObject and move it within the Marquee as needed.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
2nd screen capture to my previous post.
FindSkyObject.png
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
laszlonagy wrote:
Here is a not so dreadful workaround.

1. Place the SkyObject on the ArchiCAD layer. Define pen 91 for its color, plus Send it to the back so it won't cause trouble in your views and when printing. Show it on all stories. This way you will always have the 'invisible' SkyObject available for you.

Now, the next problem is to know if the SkyObject is included in the Marquee when you want to generate a 3D View.

2. For this, Save a Criterion in the Find & Select dialog as show in the first attached image. It will find the Sky Object for you.
Then zoom to show all. Place the Marquee. Go to Find & Select. Load the Find SkyObject criterion. Find the SkyObject and move it within the Marquee as needed.
Not so dreadful at all!

OK, now I agree with my colleagues: this workaround should be a Tip or on ArchiGuide! 😉

Thanks!
Karl
__archiben
Booster
Karl wrote:
OK, now I agree with my colleagues: this workaround should be a Tip or on ArchiGuide!
but it would still be preferable in the long run if the sun object was integrated with archiCAD's own sun, and the sky object with archiCAD's ambient controls.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Dwight
Newcomer
And as we hope that ArchCAD might someday have its lighting/imaging scheme rewritten for radiosity, these cheap draftsman's workarounds [sky and sun "objects"] will become integrated as Lightworks has implemented in OTHER SOFTWARE products.
Dwight Atkinson
Aussie John
Newcomer
excellent renderings Dwight, these are done straight out of Archicad (via LW)? still waiting for v9 to find out
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Dwight
Newcomer
Nothing is straight out. Always a touch of ye olde Photoshoppe.

For instance - to make a 360 pixel image have the presence of a 720 pixel image, a tool called "Focus Magic" smooths pixels. This is really good for batch processing images for animations.

The two-part image below is a 500 pixel image upped to 720 compared to a 360 pixel image boosted to 720 and filtered with focus magic. After animation compression, the coarser image is livlier.

Any still needs a bit of the old dodgeandburn to focus the eye centrally and away from edges.

Think like a photographer.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
why is my ceiling always black???

why can't the sun and ambient factor turn it coloured like wals??

any help?