BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Roof Structures - Roof Planes

Anonymous
Not applicable
There seems to be several posts about this.
The claim in "Made by Architects for Architects"
Well, the Roof planes won't allow the fascia boards to be changed!!
What were this Architects thinking?

Ok! Fix it!! I have never seen a roof system with the same fascia width as the rafters! Very seldom.

All elevations look so bad on ArchiCAD is such a disappointment!

No. I will not put a "make up" fill over it, too much work!

I Am modeling homes for a builder, yes, models, not just lines.

Thanks.
Jorge.
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly
Can you show an image of what you mean?

Roof planes don't have a fascia board - they have an edge that will be the thickness of the roof plane - the angle and surface material for this edge is adjustable.
The size of this edge can not be adjusted unless you change the roof thickness.

The best way to have an accurate detailed facia board may be to model it with a beam?
Will need to see an image of what you are trying to achieve.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I ussually model the whole gutter assembly of soffit, fascia, gutter (unless it is one of those cheap PVC deals, can make those with the library parts) etc with a complex profile wall (they project with a cover fill, beams do not). Can just stretch it as needed.

Bargeboards are easily modeled with single plane roofs.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's amazing to read these comments and to even see someone selecting "not needed" on the poll.

We are trying to use ArchiCAD for residential homes in California, we have a wide array of fascia boards and treatments.

Can you imagine like someone here said "modeling" each part of a fascia board on a home?!!! Really?!!!

This should be a setting in the specifications box, add fascia boards, this depth, this height, this color, this shape, etc. and it gets built into the roof planes.

People, if we don't push, ask, for changes to improve, they won't happen!!

Sitting here saying, you can model those using this or that does not help a bit.

I know that already, and I am not asking for workarounds, that's why I post here in the suggestions and not in the other forums.
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
I also work in residential design and can think of lots of instances where a predefined fascia/soffit would not work on a given roof plane. I often have fairly complex roof configurations and when there are multiple roof pitches, hips transitioning to gables etc., the soffits can change in a single roof plane.

There are programs out there that try to do what you want, SoftPlan, Chief Architect, Vectorworks ( I think ) and probably others. I used to used Softplan and one of the main reasons I moved to ArchiCad was that it wasn't flexible enough.

Perhaps for simple homes the programming could be workable but in the one off customs that I work on it is not. ( IMHO ) I prefer to do the extra modelling and have the flexibility.

If you have some regularly occurring details of roof edge configurations you can like others have suggested make complex profiles of these and then they are ready to use and take very little work to add around the edge of your roofs.

I do wish that ArchiCad roofs had composites that could be adjusted in length so that you could pull the sheathing beyond the framing element but that is another wish.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Anonymous
Not applicable
Modeling eaves, rakes, returns, turrets, etc. is not something we should be expecting to do individually.

Changes are inherent to any design and or project, making this individual changes can lead to mistakes during the process (that's why we don't use AutoCAD)

Changing the Roof plane specifications "individually" would make more sense, because we can select where the changes are needed and see them populate everywhere there are views referenced to that change.

Flexibility but consistency.
DGSketcher
Legend
If you have a consistent detail then you could always look into programming it in GDL to speed up production. If nothing else it might help you understand the complexities of programming what you see as a simple detail. Once you've mastered that then you could consider all the variants across the planet and then you might understand why GS aren't wasting resources on such features.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
That is exactly right!

That is why we took the dive and paid the big bucks for ArchiCAD

So that someone else does the programming, while we sit down and get our jobs done.
You might look into Cadimage Coverings. With this add-on you can adjust fascias, barges, soffits, gutters, and downspouts individually and parametrically at a pretty reasonable cost. Plus do a whole lot more, besides.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Barry Kelly
The roof accessories add-on will allow you to automate objects added to the edges and surface of the roof planes.
As Richard suggested Cadimage provide a good add-on.
I am sure there are others out there as well.

Rather than relying on a third party add-on I have created my own objects that I can place and manipulate.
Or complex profile beams and walls and possibly even the profiler add-on (free) for horizontal fascias and gutters.

While not connected to the roof (they won't adjust automatically when you adjust the roof) they are relatively easy to manipulate.
One of my upcoming tasks it to sit down and make objects that will use the roof accessory add-on.
The add-on id free it is just the objects that work with it that you may have to pay for (unless you are good at GDL programming and can make your own).

Just for the record I haven't voted yet because if I did I think it would be on the not so important side of things as it really isn't important to me and I didn't want to affect the results.

I can't see how it would be possible to change the flat edge of a roof into a profiles fascia, gutter, barge etc., with different materials without using and add-on to attach an object that will adjust as you change the roof. The object then gives you the control of the profile and materials.

We could possibly have more options to curve or chamfer the edges rather than just adjust the angle but I think anything beyond a simple profile would be next to impossible.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!