cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Archicad layer hide or lock

DavorP
Enthusiast

Why is it not possible to do either? It is very inconvenient to have a layer that can be used but cannot be hidden on layer combinations. Team uses it by mistake, I make the same mistake sometimes. Then it costs time to first bring to everyone's attention then wait for the fix, then send and receive, then republish x number of drawings or models. An hour of repeated work easily. I can imagine this happened thousands of times along the years and across the companies using Archicad. It has a measurable impact on productivity.

There are ways of QA with graphic overrides but this IMO is treating the symptoms. Preventing would be more efficient.

Can someone explain why is Archicad layer unique in this way? I have a vague idea that a model needs to have at least one layer. I am genuinely curious to find out.

Could it possibly be hidden on the back end entirely so it is not listed to users anywhere? This way the need for one layer is satisfied but possibility of using it is removed. Or it could be a work environment setting - to hide/show  or lock Archicad layer in all UI?

BIM manager
11 REPLIES 11
Barry Kelly

@DavorP wrote:

I have a vague idea that a model needs to have at least one layer.

Correct.

There must always be at least one layer attribute than can never be deleted.

It is the same for all other attributes as well.

The solid line can not be deleted, certain fills can not be deleted, etc.

Why it can't be locked or hidden I am not sure.

It is probably just a safeguard so that if all other layers are locked or deleted, you can still place elements somewhere.

If you don't want to see the solid line, you can change to another line type.

It is the same with the layer, if you don't want to use it, change to another layer.

If all of your tools and favourites are set to use the correct or preferred layer, then the only way someone can put something in the Archicad layer, is if they deliberately do so.

And if they keep putting elements in the Archicad layer, then they are doing something wrong.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yes we do have all tools default to a specific layer in our template and favourites as well. Yet it still happens occasionally.

Currently if you try to create an element on a locked layer you get a warning. So it doesn't seem necessary to be able to "place elements somewhere".

Can you forward the question to someone on the dev team who can shed some light on the innerworkings of Archicad layer?

BIM manager

I would not know who in the Dev team to contact.

Maybe someone reading here (maybe even from the Dev team) may have a better answer.

This would be a good question to send to your local Archicad Support people.

Barry,

Versions 6.5 to 27

Very helpful, thanks!

BIM manager

Hi DavorP, if I understand well I see the BIM manager who is responsible for setting up layer combos should hide the layer which you don’t want to use by mistake and then update all layer combos so all the team while using any layer combo and trying to place any element or object on this hidden or locked layer a warning will appear telling you that this layer is hidden or locked and you should respect that.

AC 27 INT 5030/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

@Mahmoud Qenawi wrote:

... the BIM manager who is responsible for setting up layer combos should hide the layer which you don’t want to use by mistake ...

That is exactly what can't be done.

DavorP is talking about the "ARCHICAD Layer" which can not be hidden or locked.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Workaround if your modellers are misbehaving:

ErwinEdel_1-1687937749091.png

Add a GO rule like this to your graphic overrides and anything drafted on the ArchiCAD layer will stick out.

The fact that the ArchiCAD layer can't be hidden etc is great for layouts, by the way. Which is the only instance where I use the ArchiCAD layer. I don't want someone accidentally hiding something on a layout in publish set of dozens of layouts.

Edit: I just read you don't want to use GO to babysit your modellers, appologies.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

Yeah, good point, layout book is a place where you'd want to use Archicad layer.

BIM manager

That and for Hotlink Modules.

I place them in the Archicad layer (unless I deliberately want to turn them off by turning off the hotlink master layer).

That way the hotlink can't be turned and they follow the standard layer combinations I have set up.

I don't have to add any master hotlink layers to all of my layer combinations.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27