cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Cmd (mac) / Alt (pc) swap preference with Ctrl . . ?

__archiben
Booster
as time goes on and the thought of getting a job starts creeping into my mind, i've been giving a lot of thought to what it would mean for me, a long-time mac archiCAD user, to come face to face with a windows environment.

besides the panic that would set in, i think perhaps the biggest thing that would upset my rhythmn and efficiency is the keyboard shortcut issue. now - i've been travelling around australasia for over three months and using 100% PC internet cafes along the way. without a shadow of a doubt i can say that the use of the 'Ctrl' modifier key is the most ridiculus thing i've come to terms with on a PC. my hands can do tricks i never previously thought possible just copying and pasting. but a whole range of keyboard commands?

although not an important wish by any means, is it too hard to swap some of the keyboard mapping at a low level within a program, controlled as a part of the WE scheme? is it technically possible? then everything that needs a Ctrl modifier on a PC i could swap with Alt, for example, and save myself the pain of wrist strain and RSI?

i would also love to hear experiences of people who use both on a (almost) daily basis . . . matthew?

cheers
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
ArchiBen:

As for existing climates: the great thing about the device, it's that you can carry it around, plug it into another computer anywhere (like you carry your favorite pen around maybe).

As for dicontinued product, a quick search gave me this Nostromo SpeedPad n52

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=2071&pcount=&Product_Id=1...

The same principle. A left handed programmable keyboard developed for gaming, but very adequate for us CAD users.

check this review:
http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=453&Page=1

apparently it is Mac compatible, which would definitively solve your mac/pc problem: same device can be plugged into different machine and produce same result.

As for large place in the market, if that is your problem, I advise Revit.

Now I'm off to see if I can secure a comission on the Nostromo SpeedPad n52 too....
__archiben
Booster
it doesn't have bluetooth???

Krippahl wrote:
Now I'm off to see if I can secure a comission on the Nostromo SpeedPad n52 too....
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
it doesn't have bluetooth???
So as never to run out of batteries