Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Flight structure settings (in context of US residential wood frame stair)

proto
Advocate

In the stair settings dialog, under "flight structure settings", I have been choosing monolithic stair as a generic stair starter because it gives me a shape closest to what I expect in section. But I am just confounded by the "remaining stringer size" setting immediately underneath this flight structure type.

How is this setting actually useful?

stair_setting_ques.jpg

I sort of get that it identifies the meat of the stringer remaining once the stair is cut, but how is that useful as a stair design driver?!? Would it not be more useful to select a stringer size & have the settings create the appropriate remaining shape?

Assuming a 2x12 stringer with 3/4 finish material at the tread & riser, for instance...this "remaining stringer" number changes with every change in the Rise/Run settings and yet it's not a part of the parametricity of the tool.

stair-ques.jpg

What are people doing for a generic residential straight run stair based on 2x12 framing?

Should I just ignore this until I have actual calcs sizing framing later in the project?

(it just grates on me every time I see it, but maybe i'm just not understanding how this should be used or what alternative strategy of creating simple stairs I should be using)

thanks for your perspectives up front

mac ACv27/4001, US full, Sonoma 14.1.2, 2020 iMac/2023 MacBook Pro
21 REPLIES 21

@Lingwisyer wrote:

I would think that Wishes is the suitable location for this thread. For a Monolithic stair the structural thickness IS the relevant input. So, I see this as a Wish for a Beam Type which has a stepped top with a raked bottom.

you were prescient

it somehow was a wish all along

mac ACv27/4001, US full, Sonoma 14.1.2, 2020 iMac/2023 MacBook Pro
Lingwisyer
Guru

I found out how to shift the beam so that it becomes subtraction, but was not able to find out how correct it's length. Ideally the transformation would be the altitude of your tread verse riser, so that there is no need to correct the length or cut boundaries, but I cannot figure out how to pull the tread depth...

STAIR_STRUCTURE_GEOMETRY[1][COORD_Z] is giving me the tread height, but neither COORD_X or COORD_Y give the depth. COORD_Y seems to only return 0 or 1m, while COORD_X is 0 or half the tread width.

Ling.

ps. It would appear that STAIR_STRUCTURE_GEOMETRY[1][COORD_Z]  changes depending on your flight start support connection type...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660