BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Window and door labels in elevation view

Anonymous
Not applicable
We need a better solution for labeling windows and doors in elevation views. I would propose that we have something similar to the dimension marker that is used in plan and controls in model views that determine if the label shows or not. I currently use the label tool, but it is clumsy, awkward and unpredictable.
23 REPLIES 23
TomWaltz
Participant
I have to add here (as I often do), that a lot of the problems with Labels is in the Objects themselves. If Graphisoft created cleaner labels that actually behaved, a lot of these problems would go away.

Personally, I prefer them being separated from the element. I find the Door/Window markers to be a real pain!
Tom Waltz
Aussie John
Newcomer
I gave up on the door markers years ago and have a marker scripted into my door.
The great thing with labels is they reside on their own layer but at same time is subordinate to the main objects layer. ( ie labels cant be visible is the object is hidden)
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
You guys obviously are not using the door and window markers as I am because a single set up allows no effort door and window markers whose visibility is controlled by a model view. It is so little work to have correct display that I could not imagine doing it any other way. If you haven't tried them in a while, it might be worth another go.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike wrote:
We need a better solution for labeling windows and doors in elevation views.
Another problem also, is I don't believe there is any way to label elements of a hotlinked module. I wish there was Or is there? Does anyone know?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ray wrote:
...Another problem also, is I don't believe there is any way to label elements of a hotlinked module. I wish there was Or is there? Does anyone know?
The only way I know is to label the elements in the module itself...not in the placed instance. Is there any reason why you don't do it this way?

Dan K
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
I have to add here (as I often do), that a lot of the problems with Labels is in the Objects themselves. If Graphisoft created cleaner labels that actually behaved, a lot of these problems would go away.

Personally, I prefer them being separated from the element. I find the Door/Window markers to be a real pain!
Tom,
I'm currently finalizing my new "Builder Dimension" marker and I'm curious what specific problem behavior you're experiencing with Graphisoft's labels /markers?

I'd like to make sure this new builder dimension behaves better than the ones currently available.

P.S. Congrats on your new CaddMagic venture!

Thanks,
Dan K
TomWaltz
Participant
Dan wrote:
I'm currently finalizing my new "Builder Dimension" marker and I'm curious what specific problem behavior you're experiencing with Graphisoft's labels /markers?
Prior to build 1010, Labels sometimes would not appear in elevations/sections.

My complaints with the Door/Window Dimension Markers (that are built into the doors/windows) are that they are generally really hard to control, cannot be shown in elevations, and must use display options to be controlled. I prefer being able to use layers and to be able to easily drag/rotate the symbol without digging for parameters or hunting for the hotspot.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dan wrote:
The only way I know is to label the elements in the module itself...not in the placed instance. Is there any reason why you don't do it this way?

Dan K
Sorry, Dan yes in plan, but I was thinking specifically of labelling doors and windows in elevations, and as the elevations can not be part of the module then I can't see any way of achieving this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ray wrote:
...Sorry, Dan yes in plan, but I was thinking specifically of labelling doors and windows in elevations, and as the elevations can not be part of the module then I can't see any way of achieving this.
Ray,
I guess you're right...you can't label in elevation if its a module...you would need to break the hotlink.

Dan K
Learn and get certified!