Collaborate forum
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Archicad 12 / C4D 11 Exchange logic changes?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey people,

most of you have propably noticed that the new versions are finally out.

I started testing these yesterday and seems like the working logic has been changed. Earlier if I wanted to export from Archicad to C4D, I saved from Archicad an ".ac4d"-file which I could then import in C4D. This way I could also dynamically update the Archicad parts in C4D if the original Archicad model was to change. Now it seems I can only save straight to c4d-format from Archicad and import that without any possibility to do an update instead of replacing everything in C4D.

I know I could always use the XREF-object in C4D. The questions is, what is the thought workflow here? Is there one? Am I missing something or is it just the plugins?-)

But thanks for the updates, finally! πŸ™‚
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I was testing it too and my workflow was this, I use to draw everyting in archicad, then save as ac4d and ambient it on c4d (textures, backround, some objects) then if theres a main change on the archicad file I just save it as ac4d without loosing any texture or ambient setting, back on c4d but now I don't know how to.

So this new logic tells me that I should set all the final textures back on archicad so I have them ready on c4d but sounds no logic to me cause c4d is way superior with textures setup cause theres where I do my final render.

So archicad should make available some options like before where you can save lights, cameras, scale, materials, and now if they want, they can incorporate the save as pure c4d.

Any help? any idea? Or lets back to Ac11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Currently my workflow is the following:

1. work in Archicad 11 / 12 (save into the 11 format)
2. import into Cinema 4D R10
3. XREF the C4D R10 file into Cinema 4D R11

This is only because I want to render with the C4D R11 engine. It's kind of ridiculous as I only I want a workflow that is as smooth as possible. One could ask if it was easier to use 3ds Viz/Max or even to change to an all Autodesk workflow.

Hey you guys at Maxon / Graphisoft, what's up with this?

Anonymous
Not applicable
i know this is slightly off your topic but you fellas seem to know what you are talking about - can you tell me what this 'melange exchange' stuff is about? the help file says that objects created in c4d will only appear in archicad is the 'melange exchange' option is ticked in the preferences for c4d?!? my version (r10) does not have this option available, does this mean i am out of luck when it comes to using this software?.. might be time to change to 3ds like you say... also, when looking at a relatively large archicad model in c4d parts of it dissappear and if i scroll away the whole screen goes grey but the model will show up when its rendered... im using an Nvidia GeForce 8800m GTS card, is this causing the problem?.. feels like i should be studying computing rather than architecture sometimes...

many thanks.

xavier vanabelle
Newcomer
i have same problem !! why change the old method of exchange ??

Anonymous
Not applicable
mark44 wrote:
i know this is slightly off your topic but you fellas seem to know what you are talking about - can you tell me what this 'melange exchange' stuff is about? the help file says that objects created in c4d will only appear in archicad is the 'melange exchange' option is ticked in the preferences for c4d?!? my version (r10) does not have this option available, does this mean i am out of luck when it comes to using this software?.. might be time to change to 3ds like you say... also, when looking at a relatively large archicad model in c4d parts of it dissappear and if i scroll away the whole screen goes grey but the model will show up when its rendered... im using an Nvidia GeForce 8800m GTS card, is this causing the problem?.. feels like i should be studying computing rather than architecture sometimes...

many thanks.
Hey mark44,

I was able to find the "Melange exchange"-option in C4d R11 but I have to say I have no idea what it does on the technical side.

I've had similar viewing problems (disappearing objects etc.) and I found it useful to switch between the different viewing modes of the viewport (display menu -> Gouraud Shading / Quick Shading etc.).

Anonymous
Not applicable
the melange exchange option is in release 11 - press 'ctrl e' (to bring up preferences) then its under document, should be the top option. with this ticked the objects are now visible in archicad... c4d release 10 doesn't have this option so i'm not sure how you are supposed to use it with archicad 12... i'm certain somebody with more knowhow will be able to answer that.

jniemi - thanks for the advice, i will try playing around with the shading methods.

Wokka
Newcomer
Jniemi and others,
'allegedly' that isn't the exchange plugin but an attempt to ressurect the Maxonform plugin in a new form. Also 'allegedly' Graphisoft is holding up Maxon with the new exchange format so they can't produce the exchange plugin that we have known and used in it's linked format.
See:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=25556&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Can someone from Graphisoft please verify what is happening with this issue? There are so many confused people out here in the real world trying to work with the software. My reseller hasn't got back to me and I have to rely on my Maxon guy to give me any answers about a Graphisoft issue! In the meantime R12 is not being used in my office, just collecting dust.
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T

www.3de.com.au

> Windows 7 Pro 64bit
> i7 CPU 920-2.67Ghz
> 6GB RAM
> ATI Radeon HD 5700

>ArchiCad 4.55>20 AUS
>Cinema 4D R18
>VRAYforC4D R1.9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well isnt this nice, no, i mean painful!!!

I relied on this exchange and now its causing so much disruption. The exchange is not as adaptive as it was with AC11 and Maxon. I could do what the new exchange does by exporting AC as a 3ds file and importing it as a Maxon file. The problem with that is it creates a different element for everything which all needs texturing. I can have tens of thousands of objects to texture! The other limitation with exporting to 3ds then import to maxon is you could not merge an update and therefore would have to re texture everything from scratch if a design change becomes apparent. Funny enough this is the only capability the new exchange file has. Graphisoft have just waisted resources making a plugin for something you can already do. Its just got a different name.. tut utter rubbish...

Anonymous
Not applicable
the new plugin is just painfull... you may vote πŸ˜‰

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=27085

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is really very frustrating to be waiting to hear from Graphisoft and Maxon on this issue. I haven't used my AC12 in any of my projects since its release, just hoping and waiting for the integration with C4D to work.

Sightline
Beginner
I do not find a good reason to keep both programs up to date if there is not compatibility. It seems that one has to be at least on year behind in order to get everything up and running!!
Diego Torres
Architect-CG Artist
Architectural Concepts and Visualizations
ArchiCAD 4.55 - 24
http://www.sightline3d.com

Wokka
Newcomer
Sightline etc,
You guys might be interested in this other thread re C4D/ArchiCad:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=142485#142485
Cheers
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T

www.3de.com.au

> Windows 7 Pro 64bit
> i7 CPU 920-2.67Ghz
> 6GB RAM
> ATI Radeon HD 5700

>ArchiCad 4.55>20 AUS
>Cinema 4D R18
>VRAYforC4D R1.9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks like there's been some development (no date given?):

http://www.maxon.net/index.php?id=205&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1133&cHash=cddcc77487

I'm trying it out right now.

Wokka
Newcomer
Thanks for the link!
If this is ONLY for R11 I'll be extremely P^*$*&^d off!
I've been given the runaround for 8 months by Maxon and/or Graphisoft.
The ONLY reason I used C4D was for compatability with ArchiCad and now Vray. Makes me think I should have taken the Revit/Max/vray path instead as much as I hate the Autodesk monolopy.
I'll wait for clarification.........again....
Warwick Lloyd-Martin
3 D E N V I R O N M E N T

www.3de.com.au

> Windows 7 Pro 64bit
> i7 CPU 920-2.67Ghz
> 6GB RAM
> ATI Radeon HD 5700

>ArchiCad 4.55>20 AUS
>Cinema 4D R18
>VRAYforC4D R1.9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I did a very quick test.

Seems like nothing has changed:

1. I didn't get any export/save options in Archicad. (Should objects be separated by objects or textures, scale etc.)

2. The import into C4D wasn't incremental, it's just like before.

Yes, it seems like it's only for R11.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!