Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Conversion to 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've spent alot of time creating various things specific to the types of projects we do including:

Wall composite types
Library parts
Fills
Materials
Interactive Schedules
Pens sets for various drawing types (plans elevations)

Will these have to be redone if we switch to 10

What about projects that we are half way though can we open them in 10 and use the libraries from 9?
23 REPLIES 23
Rick Thompson
Expert
You should be fine. I have had no problems along those lines. You never really know with some objects, but I had no issues at all.

I am opening and continuing my files from 9 in 10 without complaints (at this time:)
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Djordje
Ace
Mo wrote:
1 Wall composite types
2 Library parts
3 Fills
4 Materials
5 Interactive Schedules
6 Pens sets for various drawing types (plans elevations)
1 No problem
2 Should be checked; pen 91 especially
3 No problem
4 No problem; some changes in LightWorks implementation so should be checked just in case
5 Should be checked
6 Automatically imported with the view/placed drawing
Mo wrote:
What about projects that we are half way though can we open them in 10 and use the libraries from 9?
Yes. However, I am personally of the Murphy camp, and believe that if anything can go wrong, it will. Therefore I would keep the 9 projects in 9, unless some of the new features (like profiled elements and plan display) are essential to the success.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have had issues with auto referenced section markers and I would assume, but have not verified, auto referenced detail markers. For this reason alone I would suggest keeping 9 projects in 9.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike wrote:
I have had issues with auto referenced section markers and I would assume, but have not verified, auto referenced detail markers. For this reason alone I would suggest keeping 9 projects in 9.
It has been my experience that when you convert a 9 into 10 you will need to switch the auto referencing markers (detail, section/elevation) to the Archicad 10 library markers. Still testing it out but that is what i have seen so far.

Rob Oberle
IT Manager/Designer
Behr Browers Architects
G5 Dual 2.0GHZ 2GB
TomWaltz
Participant
Mo wrote:
I've spent alot of time creating various things specific to the types of projects we do including:

Wall composite types
Library parts
Fills
Materials
Interactive Schedules
Pens sets for various drawing types (plans elevations)
Any schedules you have placed in your project will no longer update. You will need to import the Scheduler .ISS files into the new schedule format.

Once you see the profile walls and the new Pen Sets features, you might want to re-think the way you use them, but it is not necessary.
I'm always hesitant to upgrade a project that is far along, regardless of the program or type of upgrade. I've seen too many unexpected things go wrong.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
I'm always hesitant to upgrade a project that is far along, regardless of the program or type of upgrade. I've seen too many unexpected things go wrong.
I agree with Tom on this if the project is close to completion, but if it is likely to go on for a long time (say, another six months or more) I would budget the time to do the conversion. The good news is that 10 is enough of an improvement that the time spent will probably be recovered fairly quickly.
Rakela Raul
Participant
every time i converted files to a higher version i ended up carrying old set of libraries or addon problems or something else for years..

i dont remember any ac version where i had a clean higher conversion !!
personally, i like new versions for new projects....maybe i agree with matthew a little bit
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
TomWaltz
Participant
Rakela wrote:
every time i converted files to a higher version i ended up carrying old set of libraries or addon problems or something else for years..

i dont remember any ac version where i had a clean higher conversion !!
personally, i like new versions for new projects....maybe i agree with matthew a little bit
That's definitely my preference, but with 30 people and who-knows-how-many projects, it can be really hard to keep track of what project is in what version and almost impossible to deny people new features (sorry, you still have to type your sheet lists and color your own elevations manually while the good kids have all the fun....)
Tom Waltz
Rakela Raul
Participant
sorry, you still have to type your sheet lists and color your own elevations manually while the good kids have all the fun....)
i might have to agree w u
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16