Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

ArchiCAD vs Revit...pros and cons + various

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gidday fellas

I was just curious on everybody's thoughts about Revit and ArchiCAD....I have used ArchiCAD and am getting better and better at it...but i do most of my drafting (my architecture firm) using Smart Architect with AutoCAD. I am a forth year architecture student and have been working in an architecture firm for the last 6 months- cant beleive how much I have learnt!

Anyway, my firm is thinking about purchasing a license for REVIT.. no one else in the firm has had experience with ArchiCAD (well as much as me anyhow) and I was just wondering what everybodys thoughts are on REVIT and ArchiCAD? I have gone through REVIT very briefly and what I have noticed is that ArchiCAD seems to be more of a presentation tool and REVIT more of a professional working drawing tool. Anybody have any other comments or thoughts on the 2 programs so that I could relay them back to my office directors? Whats easier/ etc etc?

Any info much appreciated

Cheers,

Andrew
43 REPLIES 43
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
I am happy for you really. I too found learning ArchiCAD relatively easy as did one of our new hires. But I also recognize him as remarkable and me as something of a CAD jockey. My experience with quite a few people suggests that your story is not typical.

On the other hand I don't think learning such complex software will be easy for most, and users need to show some dedication, recognize the reward for making the effort. But a large percentage of architects and designers are not technical people so Graphisoft has a greater challenge than the developers of say engineering software. Part of that challenge lies in maintaining maximum ease-of-use, part in convincing users that there is a payoff for sticking out the long learning curve.

I never intended to compare ArchiCAD with SketchUp based on features, just interface and approach. People think SketchUp is simple because it's easy to learn but the truth is they have done a great job making very complex software look simple. Perhaps the best job ever.

As ArchiCAD has progressed so has the complexity and the number of very complicated mechanisms required to complete common tasks. Like all the weird things we need to do to get walls to join properly in 2D and 3D—intersection numbers, composite settings, fill types, reference lines. And for all that there is still no core only display or joining of walls, roofs and slabs in section. God only knows how many more non-graphic settings, in more dispersed dialog boxes, they'll introduce to solve that one. This all works great if you use the same structures over and over and can spend the time to painstakingly set defaults and build templates. But for custom work it would be much faster to have a graphic editing method.

Nor am I suggesting Revit is any better or easier to master. But I do agree with Chazz is that most people and firms, faced with the uphill climb of learning this type of software, want to be sure it's worth it, and don't want to switch once they've made their choice. I think both ArchiCAD and Revit are worth the effort, but now in this competitive environment they are considered peers, which means Graphisoft has squandered the biggest advantage they had over autodesk, time. Now they must distinguish themselves and do so quickly. In a copy-cat horse race they will lose badly. Ease of use and polished interface should be their reputation and for that I suggest they look not to Revit for inspiration, but again to SketchUp, and applications from Adobe and Apple.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
TomWaltz
Participant
I think another problem a lot of new Archicad users face is the "One Way" dilemma.

I came up with this theory when I was training people on Arris. People who only ever knew AutoCAD (or Microstation or Vectorworks) assume that the one program they knew was the ONLY way to work, and anything else was bad.

On the other hand, people who had already been broken, who knew two or more programs, really didn't care. They already realized that there was more than one way to do anything in the world, and just wanted to know what the most effective way for the current situation.

The irony was when it was my own staff, some of whom only ever knew Arris and had to learn Archicad. Some of them got the joke when I suggested that now they understood how AutoCAD users felt coming to Arris.

I hate lumping people together that way, but training as many people as I have in non-AutoCAD softwares, the theory really does prove true.
Tom Waltz
Chazz
Enthusiast
Karl wrote:
I was feeling this way, out of frustration with some issues in ArchiCAD, until I began evaluating Revit 8.1 ... and now cannot see how one can claim one is the future and the other the past. They each do some things well and some things badly. IMHO, knowing where ArchiCAD is headed, I think ArchiCAD is still ahead.
Karl, clearly you know more about R10 than me (which is nothing) and more than you can say. Your insight gives me some renewed faith. I hope you're right.
Geoff wrote:
I think both ArchiCAD and Revit are worth the effort, but now in this competitive environment they are considered peers, which means Graphisoft has squandered the biggest advantage they had over autodesk, time. Now they must distinguish themselves and do so quickly. In a copy-cat horse race they will lose badly. Ease of use and polished interface should be their reputation and for that I suggest they look not to Revit for inspiration, but again to SketchUp, and applications from Adobe and Apple.
At the risk of turning this into a self-referential back slapping agree-a-thon, I will just say that your post is the essence of everything I now think about this software. The very fact that one must now even consider Revit means the battle is all but lost. Even if Revit is not quite as strong as AC overall, any firm considering a purchase would be well advised to go Revit given that product's momentum and Autodesk's reputation for timely improvement. It's not about the now, it's about the future. As I said before, when I bought AC (at version 3.x), Architrion was arguably a better tool but the company (BAGH) had an inferior vision. Back then GS had the momentum.

No more.

Revit's core weakness is that it is now developed by Autodesk --a maker of dull things. The only hope is for GS to forget and throw away most of what they've done and start again. They must do so with the creative user at the center of everything. There are just too many problems with the existing software and philosophy. Geoff's invocation of the composite wall cleanup disaster is just the tip of an iceberg of user-hateful horribleness. I know that this sounds extreme but to regain any legitimacy GS can no longer just patch over the misdeeds of past releases. They need to start again. The alternative is akin to fixing africa.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Chazz, the future is disappointing...
::rk
Rakela Raul
Participant
Robert, are u selling ur dongle ?? Let us know 😉
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Robert, are u selling ur dongle ?? Let us know

As soon as I get a positive review on Revit 9 mate...
Rakela Raul
Participant
As soon as I get a positive review on Revit 9 mate...
im just kidding w u !! i think ac10 is gonna be good, with pm into ac, live links working smooth hopefully, is a good thing...i am also hoping to keep the interface clean and simple as always, w all toools working 100%, and a lot of good accessories for foundations, walls, windows, doors and the like.....so hold the horses mate.
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
creative user at the center of everything
I have used Revit on some fairly recent complete projects. It does alot of things nicely. But I'd hang on to your archicad key until after you've tried it. If as stated earlier, graphisoft will concentrate on making a powerful, easy to use cool, progressively updated product that just works and works well then all will be well. If not well.....
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Sorry, I have just made my statement a bit dramatic trying to put it in the perspective/relation to the recent Chazz's comments (saying more Finally-than-Wow thing). I can't help it but I had personally expected a bit more somehow.
However, it will be interesting to see Revit's answer to this.
Err the fact that Revit is out there with momentum and Autodesk behind it does not mean that ArchiCAD is dead, or that you will be necessarily better off by going Revit.

It reminds me of all the farewells to the Mac I heard for years since Windows '95 came out.

ArchiCAD does need to be a step ahead of Revit, though, so as to outweigh the costs the user incurs in by choosing not to use the 'BIM' market leader (which Revit will most probably be, if it isn't already).