Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Archicad vs Sketchup

Anonymous
Not applicable
Further to my email a few months ago now which some may remember in which I slagged off Archicad and stated that Autocad and 2d was still the way to go I want to modify that statement.

Ive tried Sketchup recently and god does that program poo all over Archicad! Its amazing and its so intuitive and easy to use. Its not like Archicad at all.

So now I am convinced that the way to go is Sketchup for up to planning/concepts and then converting to 2d Autocad after planning. I cerainly dont see Archicad featuring in the future of architecture much at all unless you are a house designer.

I would certainly ask any doubters to try Sketchup and then tell me I am wrong. I know the argument for archicad is its true BIM 'and all that' but I dont need 'all that'. I need a simple way of doing client friendly 3d designs and Sketchup is it. What I dont need is Archicads inflexible and complex object based mentality. I just dont need it.

Ive just done a great looking 3d house in Sketchup in 3 days that would have taken me a month to do in Archicad. And no I wouldnt have then saved the wroking drg time because you cant use Archicad to do working drawings I can tell you that as a fact.

So you see I havent changed my mind, I dont like Archicad as I am a design orientated architect not an IT freak.
65 REPLIES 65
Rick Thompson
Expert
I do fine this interesting in that I just recently decided to give Sketchup another try. I am what nats referred to as "a house designer", so I can't comment on much outside that box. nats refers to architects as "creative people" and AC is fine for those house designing professions, but since I am also an architect, just one who prefers housing over commercial, maybe my experience has some value.

I grew up designing way before computers became the tool of choice. If you are looking for tool to facilitate creative efforts, then why not close you eyes and let it rip. Then once the essential elements are formed, pull out the old sketch paper and go for it. I am not sure what is taught in schools these days, but I sure hope they have not limited there creative expression to Sketchup. Personally, I find using Sketchup one step forward and two steps backwards. I did not help my process. I find it much faster and more efficient to model in my consciousness, then verify a few things on paper, then model in AC. Once in AC, which is extremely quick once you have mastered the tools and developed your templates, it is a very simple process to generate all sorts of documents (working drawings, material list, renderings, etc). It baffles me when someone says AC is not good for generating working drawings. It is simply too many peoples experience otherwise, and too bad for those who form a judgement based on lack of experience.

I am all for anyone using whatever tools work best for them, but when nats declares AC's limitations as above, which is misleading to someone open minded and searching for solutions, I do feel it important to state otherwise. nats asked someone to try Sketchup and then tell him he is wrong. Ok, you are wrong.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:
Personally, I find using Sketchup one step forward and two steps backwards. I did not help my process. I find it much faster and more efficient to model in my consciousness, then verify a few things on paper, then model in AC.
I have to agree 100%. I used to use sketchup alot and I still think it's a great program. Most recently, I used it to model and produce drawings of an outdoor pergola room and it worked quite well. But since getting AC, I haven't used it at all. I actually miss using it, but it isn't really meant to produce working drawings and I don't find the sketchup to AC translation to be clean enough to begin projects in it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
nats wrote:
Ive just done a great looking 3d house in Sketchup in 3 days that would have taken me a month to do in Archicad. And no I wouldnt have then saved the wroking drg time because you cant use Archicad to do working drawings I can tell you that as a fact..
The Key word in word in that last sentence isYOU!

YOU can't do working drawings with Archicad so you feel the need to whine about your lack of ability and knowledge time and time again.

Further, if it takes you a month to do a great looking 3D house in ANY software then you are seriously deficient in what it takes to learn and use these programs, which after all your rants about this and that isCLEARLY YOUR PROBLEM.
Jere
Expert
nats wrote:
Well I would love to dispute all this but I cant be bothered.

Sketchup is everything I have been looking for in terms of 3d modelling and massing/design. I dont need a BIM program. And I prefer using Autocad for 2d work.

Well just leave it that for some people Archicad is fine and dandy. Its not for me.

And I wouldnt be surprised at all if it disappears altogether once more people get into Sketchup.
This is a good post. Sketchup is designed as a modelling/massing program. I have limited experience in it, but it seems to do this quite well. It's not meant to produce working drawings. ArchiCAD is easily the best working drawing tool I've used.
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jere wrote:
ArchiCAD is easily the best working drawing tool I've used.
This couldn't possibly be true, because Gnat says so.
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
Hi all, I thought I would wade in here. I initially thought that I would use SketchUp for doing initial design but haven't had the time to learn to model efficiently yet. I also have quite a few long distance clients so I have found another way to use it that seems to work very well in certain circumstances.

I still model in AC but export to SketchUp when I have enough modelled to show a client. I then get them to download the free version of Sketchup and send them a model file.

The response has been overwhelmingly positive. They just love playing with the model. If the project is none residential I sometimes just do pieces of the project to illustrate something that is hard to see in 2D. It is easier to do this for me than generating a bunch of 3D views to send them.

Cheers,
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Jere
Expert
s2art wrote:
Jere wrote:
ArchiCAD is easily the best working drawing tool I've used.
This couldn't possibly be true, because Gnat says so.
FALSE!!!
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
TomWaltz
Participant
Nats has been unswayed by logic from the first day he posted here. That's not really new.

Ignore him. He seems happy with his lack of knowledge and experience, why try to change him?
Tom Waltz
Dwight
Newcomer
If only architecture was made from foam board or plasticene like SketchUp would have it.

I know, considering the lousy weatherproofing on buildings around here, that many of my colleagues selected the foamboard option.

Plasticene, altho prone to sagging on the long spans, is water-repellant.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Above all, I ask forgiveness of all my low level of English.

Only took eighteen years as an architect by profession, and what I can bring to this forum architecture is quite low. But I can say one thing: I think architecture as art made material.

And the software is just a tool that helps show what you have in mind. Architecture is art and technique. As such, we need to design and calculate. We must meet standards for thermal insulation and acoustic, land laws, calculate structures and facilities.

If there is a software application that facilitates the flow of information between different software, which allows me to control the project, both in action and in three dimensions, that is what I am looking for.

One thing is to teach an idea, and quite another to make a project of a building across complying with regulations.