BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.

Integrated Project Delivery - What Does That Mean to You?

There's been a lot of Industry News lately talking about the Manufacturing Sector and their adoption of technologies around the concept of Project Data Management. Most of the respected "CAD" pundits talk of nothing else these days, but I wonder if the amount of column inches devoted to teh manufacturing sector is happening at the expense of a discussion about data management in the design and construction of buildings.

The A/E/C Economy touts BIM as its methodology of choice and this has recently evolved into a concept called Integrated Project Delivery.

IPD should have benefits for all the constituents of the Construction Economy - clients, designers, builders. The integration part of this is they key piece. The one that might actually see the sharing of data by all parties and in all phases of work.

Are PDM and IDP the same thing? Does one truly inform the other. Where do the parallels start and end?

I'd like to ask BDC as a Builder to start this thread by sharing what he has learned about IPD and to discuss what he/she she thinks needs to happen to bring this about.

Of course, I'd invite everyone else to weigh in on this topic as well.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aaron wrote:
Stop being so baffling. Good writing is done with an audience in mind and I wish I weren't compelled to say that you like to write solely for yourself.

I'm not anything but curious. And I have yet to understand how what you write here is germane to the question.
Seriously, I dont think people are interested in why data analysis has become so important to me and my clients.If you are curious you can leave a PM.
If you PM it, I'll post it.

I'm trying to start a dialog.

And keep one going.

ArchiCAD-Talk is losing its edge as a forum for discussing larger issues. The tenor of the discussions on this board has become more somber in the last year and I don't understand why.
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Look this is the way I,My clients and others see it .Building Information Modelling is a subset of Data Information Modelling,Clients are now becoming more concerned about the implications of not getting the data right than the hdri render settings.
Djordje
Ace
BDC wrote:
Rob wrote:
BDC...oh for god sake - the troll is back

guys do not answer this ... BDC is a well known troll on this forum.
Well I was invited to comment,and unless you're got something to contribute then F.O. Talking about trolling get rid of that outfit,Dude.
Mind the language.

Your past record is full of trolling, insulting and using bad langauage. So please take care or face the consequences.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Ok. So what is Data Information Modeling? And what might this have to do with overall project delivery and what might the tie from BIM to DIM?
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ohh...fair go..that was in the distant past,we share common goals now please excuse my bad mannners and feel free to delete whatever you want.Cheers
Djordje
Ace
BDC wrote:
Ohh...fair go..that was in the distant past,we share common goals now please excuse my bad mannners and feel free to delete whatever you want.Cheers
Glad to know that
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aaron wrote:
Ok. BIM to DIM?
When I see stuff like that you leave yourself wide open.
and I'm resisting being terminated.You need to Analyze the Data First and predict outcomes ( switch the clients lights on) and then move to BIM not the other way around.Some believe the BIM Model will contain all the data...I'm not sure about that, some of the data doesn't translate to the BIM Model directly, eg economic data =>the increasing price of steel =>Structural design changes in the Steel Code => Impact of new standards on designs and so on,but all data needs to be presented to the client its their choice.we mathematically analyze and predict outcomes with a very high degree of accuracy now...Take a look at Maplesoft.
Maybe someone else can fill in the Blanks.HTH
I'm wide open to being informed. [180,000 unemployed comedians in Australia and you want to be one?]

Integrated Project Delivery implies the sharing of information across disciplines in order to design, build and hopefully maintain a building over a long life span. That's not happening because we don't communicate with one another or engage in a process where we all work from the same data set.

We're currently hooped because we're all looking at the elephant from different viewpoints, or with the Babylonians, our tongues are now confused at that big jobsite called Babel.

BDC, thank you for the link to MapleSoft, a proud Canadian company. I don't even need to check out the link to surmise that you've built your own proprietary tools to solve your own internal issues.

Might you identify one of them - just one to start - and take us through what the problem is, how you address it and how you might share the resultant as information for the whole team. Do you need to, or is your use of tools strictly for your own advantage?

My concern is that your system - brilliant as it might be - doesn't have anything to say to anyone else on the team or can't communicate it in a fashion that is useful to anyone else. Maybe you could show me that I'm wrong. Maybe you could show me how that serves your client's best interests - in the long run, in the grand scheme of things, etc.

I'm wide open.
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Comedy is a great way to lessen stress.Ive already said,"its not about me."Sorry Aaron thats it, Im working on the engineering side now.Cheers
Learn and get certified!