BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Clear width vs Archicad egress width

Narska
Advocate
So in the US egress width is measured from the doorstop to the face of the door when opened at 90 degrees.

Archicad egress width, if I understand it correctly measures the width for the door from doorstop to doorstop.

First of all, is my understanding correct?

And secondly how do I have ArchiCAD calculate the clear width automatically?

Thanks,
Tomasz Mlynarski
New York based Architect
2 REPLIES 2
Narska
Advocate
I used some GDL to request door parameters and did the calcs inside a custom label.

Seems to be working.

rrr = request ("ASSOCLP_PARVALUE", "ac_leaf_width", index_ww, type_ww, flags_ww, dim1_ww, dim2_ww, ac_leaf_width)
rrr = request ("ASSOCLP_PARVALUE", "gs_ds_w", index_ww, type_ww, flags_ww, dim1_ww, dim2_ww, gs_ds_w)
rrr = request ("ASSOCLP_PARVALUE", "gs_leaf_thk", index_ww, type_ww, flags_ww, dim1_ww, dim2_ww, gs_leaf_thk)

user_clear_width = ac_leaf_width - gs_ds_w - gs_leaf_thk

TEXT2 0,-1', STR ("%0.64fi", user_clear_width)

Narska wrote:
So in the US egress width is measured from the doorstop to the face of the door when opened at 90 degrees.

Archicad egress width, if I understand it correctly measures the width for the door from doorstop to doorstop.

First of all, is my understanding correct?

And secondly how do I have ArchiCAD calculate the clear width automatically?

Thanks,
Tomasz Mlynarski
New York based Architect
Very good solution Narska.
I have coded the egress into my door and window tool so that it gives the correct result as per your description. I have included pocket sliding door egress calculation that allows for the door to be either completely contained in the pocket or slightly protruding when in the open position, as this also affects the true egress.
It is a shame that it cannot be achieve in the standard library parts, however, a custom label is a very good option particularly if it is only the notation in 2d you require.
Creator of Cadswift's parametric GDL libraries
Creator of Infinite Openings and Component Catalogues
Push the envelope & watch it bend
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CADSwift/playlists
Learn and get certified!