BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Eaves ending

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
I have been trying to find if there is an easy way to have the roof contour (the red line), by now i am doing it using SEO but maybe there is a way i don't know.
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Hello,

Did you try to use the Solid Element Operation ?
Or you can use a custom beam profile at the end of your roof.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, i use solid operations usually for this, but i wonder if there is any other way.
With AC23, your structural beam can be customized in 3D
And above, you can use a custom beam profile at the end of your roof (by using SEO)
With AC22 or before I believe you had tu use custom beam profile or SEO
Christophe - FRANCE

"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use AC 21
drexdis wrote:
Hello,
I have been trying to find if there is an easy way to have the roof contour (the red line), by now i am doing it using SEO but maybe there is a way i don't know.
Thanks
I do it like this:

Rafters and Roof Framing are Objects from the Roof Construction Library
Horizontal Fascia and Subfasia are Walls
Fascia, Subfascia, and Dripedge at the Gable (or any slope) are Roofs
Soffit is always a Roof also.

The Ctrl-Click feature of Roof edges is one reason for the use of roofs for these parts. The other is how easy it is to make changes when the roof slope changes, and another is how easy it is to get them placed quickly and properly. And they all clear up perfetly with each other useing SEO and with out the need for any additional SEO objects on a hidden layer. Also they copy and paste from peak to peak or low end to low end and clean up to fit with Ctrl-Click.

As with alomost everything we do in ArchiCAD, the use of pre-modeled assemblies shuch as these are an exponentially faster and more fun way to model - I think. But if you doing it from scratch, spliting off a piece of the roof at the Gable end is a good way to get some of these parts. Just make the part you split off for the Fascia a thicker roof, copy it and make it a different thickness for the drip edge. When you have an assembly for the Fascia, Drip Edge, Sheeps Foot return or what ever... copy it to where it will fit down at the gutter/eave - mirror a copy - Ctrl Click the edges and it will clean up for a roof with a different span. You get the idea... So you only make one assembly, then move it arround, perhaps edit the pitch, Ctrl-Click....

You may only need one set of Rafters about where your Section is. Depends on if you need an Interactive Schedule everything, or just enought for the sake of graphics in a Section.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

drexdis wrote:
I use AC 21
AC22 or before so AC21 is great 😉
Have a nice day
Christophe - FRANCE

Lingwisyer
Guru
As Steve mentioned, using just a Composite roof only really works for early phases of a project. You would generally end up breaking it down into components for greater detail in which case you are only cutting your rafters. I ended up scripting my own object to do the rafters. Beams and slabs, or rails then go over it if needed for facias, soffits and such. I have not tried scheduling my object.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Lingwisyer wrote:
As Steve mentioned, using just a Composite roof only really works for early phases of a project......
I almost never use Composites for a Roof. The initial roof is 6" thick just so it looks about right for quick preliminary views. I change them to 5/8" thick roof sheathing. Everything I model is usually for the sake of use with an Interactive Schedule that automatically populates when I paste things in from other projects - to be tweaked for what I need.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Lingwisyer
Guru

I realised that the object that I attached to my previous post was broken in that many of the settings could not be modified from their defaults... I had commented out an entire section to test some things and forgotten to undo it...

Fixed and updated object attached.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Learn and get certified!