Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.
SOLVED!

How do I create bypass doors?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to find a way to modify the standard door models to show a 5'-0" x 8'-0" bypass door. It's a closet door that should not swing out into the room.

I want to have the two door leafs to pass behind/in front of each other. I've looked at the standard door selection settings and don't seem to be able to find a way to modify any of the settings to create this. The closest thing I can find is a D2 Pocket door, but I do not want the door leafs to pocket back into the adjacent wall. Both door leafs need to stay within the opening.

Please help or advise me on what to do here.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
Jesse wrote:
Why don't we have these door options for the USA library?

Hi Jesse,

Sorry I didn't see Brett's post 5 years ago to reply then. We have access to these doors and many more library parts... via an important part of the object settings dialog that will open up a lot of possibilities for you.

The quick answer to Brett's 5 yearr old question is: yes, we can have bypass doors for closets (etc).

Open the Door Settings dialog and type "Sliding Door" in the search field. The internet is searched along with all loaded libraries. You'll see downloadable library parts identified by a stylized globe icon in the lower right. Here, I've selected the "Sliding Door" part from BIM Components. Click "Download and Embed" to download it into the embedded library for the active project.

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.06.02 PM.jpg

In placing the object, you'll see lots of options for number of leaves and which ones can slide. I picked "2 Sliding Leaves" to give me a bypass door as in the original question in this thread. You'll see that like many parts, there is a drop-down text option, and the same option is shown graphically on another panel.

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.07.46 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.08.22 PM.jpg

Finally, when you view the door in plan or in 3D, you'll see that each movable leaf has an editable hotspot. This allows you to slide the leaf open to the desired position for the 2D or the 3D/Elevation representation.

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.10.48 PM.jpg
Hope this helps! 🙂

Karl

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
If, I understood well, one of the Sliding doors should be the door you're looking for. Check them and try the options they have.

PD: Please add a signature with the Archicad version you're using and OS. This will help others to give you more accurate answers.
zoli79
Booster
I can't find a good solution either. (ArchiCAD 18, MAC OS)
Here are my issues with the considerable door objects:
D2 Sliding 18: in 3D only one of the panels is shown as sliding and we want both. I might have missed something, but couldn't find any option to make both move.
D2 Sliding EXT. Both of the panels slide, too bad that they do it in the opposite direction (this would be an issue in floor plan also). Minus value for opening length is not accepted.
D3 Sliding 2. Almost good: we have two panels sliding in the opposite direction, towards the center. Only problem is that there is a third panel in the middle that can't be nuked.

Any solutions? (Other than CADimage)
macOS Ventura, ArchiCAD 26 - USA version
jbArch
Newcomer
Wondering if you ever found a solution for this. Just found this thread looking to solve the same issue... I've always used the slider for a bypass door, but now want to show the opening symbol on both doors.
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
Lingwisyer
Guru
A sliding door where both leafs move? There is an option for that with the Siding Door 22 object available in the AUS and INT libraries.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Jesse Davidson
Contributor

What are other people doing in the USA / Canada to get around these kinds of things where our friends overseas have way better windows & doors it appears to work with.

Are my fellow designers linking the INTL library into their models as well? does that work without creating countless duplicates?

Just trying to increase my project knowledge from every project and further my detailing but it sure gets frustrating to find out (and this is not the first time) that the INTL library has the exact object I need but for what ever reason ArchiCAD decided to not include it into our library. Just seems silly why they've done this to us!
ArchiCAD 24 Full
15" Macbook Pro (2018), OSX 10.15.7
2.6 GHz Intel Core I7, 32GB DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB[/size]
runxel
Legend
Not really Graphisofts fault, but still frustrating.
Bug your reseller until they include those!
The libraries are "made" by them.

[Endgame should of course be the abolishing of the localized libraries and having a unified (but still translated) library.]
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Solution
Karl Ottenstein
Jesse wrote:

Hi Jesse,

Sorry I didn't see Brett's post 5 years ago to reply then. We have access to these doors and many more library parts... via an important part of the object settings dialog that will open up a lot of possibilities for you.

The quick answer to Brett's 5 yearr old question is: yes, we can have bypass doors for closets (etc).

Open the Door Settings dialog and type "Sliding Door" in the search field. The internet is searched along with all loaded libraries. You'll see downloadable library parts identified by a stylized globe icon in the lower right. Here, I've selected the "Sliding Door" part from BIM Components. Click "Download and Embed" to download it into the embedded library for the active project.

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.06.02 PM.jpg

In placing the object, you'll see lots of options for number of leaves and which ones can slide. I picked "2 Sliding Leaves" to give me a bypass door as in the original question in this thread. You'll see that like many parts, there is a drop-down text option, and the same option is shown graphically on another panel.

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.07.46 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.08.22 PM.jpg

Finally, when you view the door in plan or in 3D, you'll see that each movable leaf has an editable hotspot. This allows you to slide the leaf open to the desired position for the 2D or the 3D/Elevation representation.

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 3.10.48 PM.jpg
Hope this helps! 🙂

Karl

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB