BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modeling Masonry Walls so Vectorial Hatching & Texture Mapping align

rm
Advisor
In my office, we have never been able to solve this problem with masonry walls. I hope its just user error, but I am starting to think it is a limitation of AC. If so, this is a really bad limitation.

Lets say you have a 2 story space totaling 20' in height. On floor 1, you draw your walls 10' tall. On floor 2, you draw the same wall, one above the other, again 10' tall.

Pull up either a 2D Elevation or 3D view with vectorial hatching turned on and you see the problem immediately. The upper hatching will not offset the properly to display the running pattern of the brick.

Yet if you change the 3D vectorial view to 3D Render view, the texture map of the masonry does what it should do for each floor and properly align the running bond of the brick.

Am I completely missing a very simple setting in AC that would correct the vectorial hatching on 2D and 3D views?

Thanks!
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
10 REPLIES 10
DGSketcher
Legend
I don’t think there is a way to move the hatch origin that I know of. Did you consider removing the split and having a single wall? AC is pretty good at handling multi-storey walls these days, although there are situations where the build up can be different in each storey so you have no choice. The other thing to try would be dropping or raising the split by one course?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you checked if the Texture Image matches the Fill pattern?
And for having the two walls to match the surface origin, you can select the two walls and define the same texture origin with the "Set Origin..." command.
HTH.
rm
Advisor
DGSketcher wrote:
I don’t think there is a way to move the hatch origin that I know of. Did you consider removing the split and having a single wall? AC is pretty good at handling multi-storey walls these days, although there are situations where the build up can be different in each storey so you have no choice. The other thing to try would be dropping or raising the split by one course?
Thanks for your reply -
I have considered the single and it does solve the problem. I cant use your suggested solution in this case because I am using the End Wall tool to model the Gyp returning into window frames. Some of the windows span from 1st floor to 2nd floor.

On 2nd review, I just figured out that the end wall tool gives the option to place the end wall at any height of the wall its being attached to. In my case, it allows me to use a single wall, as you suggested because I can now have my Gyp Bd. return to the jamb of the window that is located at the upper portion of the wall, but does not show the Gyp Bd. return at the lower portion of the wall.

In the end, this is a workaround.

I think Graphisoft needs to implement a better way to handle vectorial fills for walls so patterns repeat properly no matter what the wall heights are, this seems pretty fundamental.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
rm
Advisor
Braza wrote:
Have you checked if the Texture Image matches the Fill pattern?
And for having the two walls to match the surface origin, you can select the two walls and define the same texture origin with the "Set Origin..." command.
HTH.
Thanks for your reply!

Yes Texture Image matches Fill pattern, I presume you mean in spacing and scale.

I thought you could only select one wall at a time to define same texture/vector origin. I tried this and it worked, you taught me something there - thanks!

That said, with the exception fo really unique conditions, I don't think we should have to reset origin. In my case as shown in the photos, the texture map is working correctly. The vectorial version is not working correctly.

They should be consistent, if one is working correctly, so should the other.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Barry Kelly
So long as your texture and associated hatch have the same origin and modular (brick) size, then they should match when showing the texture and hatch in 3D.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rm
Advisor
Barry wrote:
So long as your texture and associated hatch have the same origin and modular (brick) size, then they should match when showing the texture and hatch in 3D.

Barry.
Thanks for your reply.

But if you look at my post just above yours, I acknowledged I have the texture map and vectorial pattern matching in size. That was not the main point of my post. My issue is the way vectorial hatching is not coursing properly floor to floor as the pattern does not respond properly as it does with the texture map.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Barry Kelly
The textures and hatches should always be set out from the project origin.
So no matter where you place a wall, the texture/hatch should just continue uninterrupted set out from the project origin.

Unless you have used the 'Align in 3D' option which will override the position of the texture/hatch (they should still match each other though.

The wall direction does have an effect on the horizontal position, so make sure the walls all flow in the same direction.But I have not seen anything that upsets the vertical position except the 'align in 3D' command.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
@rm

Yes. This is a weird behavior.
But if you look carefully, even your Opengl (or Cinerender?) 3d render view is showing some weirdness.
It looks like some predefined "Set Origin..." to one of the walls. Try selecting the two walls and do a "Reset Origins..." command.
Are you using Cinerender? If so, check if your Cinerender definitions are matching the vectorial fill.
DGSketcher
Legend
I have had a chance play with this. My findings are that by default the vectorial hatch is set out from the element origin as can be seen when you elevate a wall from its original position. This makes sense as a default. If as RM is demonstrating, you can have a situation with stacked walls where the vectorial pattern conflicts or misaligns. The fix for this is to select the offending walls in 3D and use Align 3D Texture > Set Origin to set a common point for all the walls at the same time. I guess it isn't ideal if you are working on 2D elevations and it might help if the Align 3D Texture was available in the 2D window but at least there is a logical workflow.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Learn and get certified!