BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Replacing Selected Modules

James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I thought there was a way but it doesn't seem like there is.

I have over 2,700 modules placed (with still about 1,500 to go). Now I want to replace some of those with another module.

I know I can replace ALL modules, but I want to replace only the selected modules with another module. Anyone know a way to do it?

When you go to Modules Settings the button Choose Hotlink is greyed out all I need is that button NOT to be greyed.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
11 REPLIES 11
TomWaltz
Participant
James wrote:
I have over 2,700 modules placed (with still about 1,500 to go). Now I want to replace some of those with another module.

I know I can replace ALL modules, but I want to replace only the selected modules with another module. Anyone know a way to do it?
That would be nice, but I've not come up with a way to pull it off yet...
Tom Waltz
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
TomWaltz wrote:
That would be nice, but I've not come up with a way to pull it off yet...
Hey Tom.

I can see only 2 options for me.

1. Delete and replace 100's of modules
2. Use different masterlayers for the modules. As I'll be exporting to C4D, hide set 1, change the layers to display the rest, then hide set 2 and change layers. Exporting each. If that makes sense.

Both pretty bad solutions really. But I guess if I have no choice....

OK, maybe Option 3: Use GDL to determine the Master Layer and use the GDL to show hide the relevant info - if that's possible.
James Badcock
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I think I've found the limit of Archicad modules.

I've placed 4,727 modules - a pln file with just a basic house (ie slab for house, slab for fence). The file is 1.6MB. Trying to do a 3D of this crashes archicad. So I thought I could purge the useless attributes in the module which got it down to 836KB. Opening the main file, it's now going to take 50 minutes to update all those modules.

Maybe using a .mod file would make the process faster and not crash ArchiCAD. Or am I just using the wrong programme all together....

Just thought people might be interested.

Oh, and it's a Dual 1.8GHz G5 with 2.5GB RAM.

James Badcock
Djordje
Ace
James wrote:
I think I've found the limit of Archicad modules.
Is it necessary that the Modules are Modules?

Can they be Objects?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Djordje wrote:
Is it necessary that the Modules are Modules?

Can they be Objects?
No, they don't have to be modules. After I did the 50min update of the modules I could do a 3D view with no crashing so that was good.

I think I can get away with not replacing the modules for different looking ones cause with that many, hey who's REALLY going to notice.

If I find I'm still having 'limitations' with the modules, I'll convert them to objects. Thanks

In hindsight, doing objects to start with would have been better. Would have taken longer at the start, but would have SAVED time in the end.
James Badcock
Djordje
Ace
James wrote:
No, they don't have to be modules. After I did the 50min update of the modules I could do a 3D view with no crashing so that was good.
The Modules are OK if you need a constant live update.
James wrote:
In hindsight, doing objects to start with would have been better. Would have taken longer at the start, but would have SAVED time in the end.
Not really ... the same model that you work on as PLA or MOD, can be saved from the top 3D view as an object. Make sure to get rid of the internal stuff. Updating is also very straightforward - just re-save the object. Make sure, of course, that the insertion points are the same ...

Been there, done that - guess who I know that objects work better 😉

Oh, just to annoy you a bit - did you try it on a PC? 😉
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Djordje wrote:
Not really ... the same model that you work on as PLA or MOD, can be saved from the top 3D view as an object. Make sure to get rid of the internal stuff. Updating is also very straightforward - just re-save the object. Make sure, of course, that the insertion points are the same ...

Been there, done that - guess who I know that objects work better 😉

Oh, just to annoy you a bit - did you try it on a PC? 😉
I've done a fair bit of object coding in the past. And knowing me I would have wanted to have coded it from scratch so everything is parametric and clean. and use presets in the object for different arrangements. And of course integrate hotlines etc.

Oh, and no didn't try it on a PC. PC's a dirty word in my book anyway
James Badcock
Karl Ottenstein
Hi James,

Forgive me for being more blunt than Djordje, mate ... but that number of modules seems like insanity!

Could you give us an example of the content of one or two of them?

For each module, can you agree 100% with each of these conditions:

1. The module has elements on different layers and layer visibility via layer combinations is essential to the use of the module

2. The module has attributes (materials, etc.) that do not exist in the host file and so using the module assures that these attributes will exist in the host

3. The module content must be recognized as individual ArchiCAD elements (walls, slabs, etc.) in the host file for picking up attributes (syringe) or scheduling.

Hmm. Must be more...

If you can't say 100% yes for each of these for a module, then - when there are thousands - it should be an object IMHO. Objects are also live-linked and easily replaced/updated (if the source elements are kept). If the elements in the "module" object are simply a collection of elements in plan - on a single story. Then, no 3D magic is required. Just select the elements, GDL Menu, save selection as object. Done. When more than one story, sure, the 3D top view thing is required.

Tell us more...

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Karl wrote:
If you can't say 100% yes for each of these for a module, then - when there are thousands - it should be an object IMHO. Objects are also live-linked and easily replaced/updated (if the source elements are kept). If the elements in the "module" object are simply a collection of elements in plan - on a single story. Then, no 3D magic is required. Just select the elements, GDL Menu, save selection as object. Done. When more than one story, sure, the 3D top view thing is required.

Tell us more...
Hey Karl,

You are absolutely right. To all your questions I answered "no". At the time of making modules, I didn't realise how slow it would be and had plans of updating the module with more details and stuff. Then I found out how limiting it was: take 50 minutes to update, sometimes crashed when going 3D, bloated the file, can't replace selected modules etc.

But i suppose NOW that I know that I won't do that in the future.

And I can still convert the module to an object, update the module, then break all the modules.

Just didn't think of it at the time. Don't think I've wasted TOO much time. Still have to place 4,727 of em. Thanks Karl.

Oh, and all it is is a residentail development in UAE, so each house is the same size. i can post a pic if you like - though weekend now so having to wait till Monday.
James Badcock
Learn and get certified!