BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stair Rail Plan View Problem

Andy Melaragno
Booster
I am trying to draw an existing staircase and handrail for a remodel project and I am having a hard time getting the handrail to appear correctly on the Second Floor. The first floor appears somewhat correctly but part of the rail at the bottom of the steps is showing up above the floor on the second floor (see circled section of rail in the image attached). I am finding the 2D representation of both stairs and railings to be very cumbersome. Are there any good videos that explain the 2D setting well?
Thanks.
Andy Melaragno

Columbus, Ohio USA

AC 24 / 25 / 26 USA | Windows 10 Pro | GeForce RTX 2060 Super | 32 GB |Intel i7-8700K @3.70 Ghz
5 REPLIES 5
Lingwisyer
Guru
If you disable the "Use Display Relevant Stories" option might that work? For me, with this setting off every story except the top displays the correct break line, except for the top story in which it just does not show... Good thing I do not need to show this stair riser on plan...

The railing components also do not all follow the same settings, so you end up needing to disable some of them in the floor plan...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Andy Melaragno
Booster
Thanks Ling. I tried to play around with the view setting you suggested but nothing is working. I guess I will turn all the 2d symbols off and use 2d lines to show the rail.
Andy Melaragno

Columbus, Ohio USA

AC 24 / 25 / 26 USA | Windows 10 Pro | GeForce RTX 2060 Super | 32 GB |Intel i7-8700K @3.70 Ghz
svpribyl
Booster
Sadly, I've had to resort to the same thing. It's a shame that the default values aren't closer to what we actually like to see. Working through all the possibilities seems endless
Steve Pribyl
MAC OSX 13.6.3
ArchiCAD 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Why don't you model it with 2 Railing elements?
One along the Stair, the other on the upper Story. I think you can solve their common Post with settings. Then you can set their Floor Plan display options separately.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
tottoratkai
Contributor
LaszloNagy wrote:
Why don't you model it with 2 Railing elements?
One along the Stair, the other on the upper Story. I think you can solve their common Post with settings. Then you can set their Floor Plan display options separately.
Hi Laszlo, and others,
I am currently fighting with the very same problem and your solution seems to be the easiest, according to my current knowledge.
On the other hand, treating the railing in two pieces could usually seem just awkward, for example when it.s a simple polyline where seeing the bottom part on the 2nd story makes the understanding difficult.
And as Andy referred to it, too, once we have a good break line on the bottom floor, i would expect to be able to see the rest of it (and only that!) on the top story.

In my case, there are these two railings on each story appr. the same place, and I would like to have a break line with the lower on (1), without interfering with the higher one (2).
As you can see, the railing makes a "C shape" along the wall and thus cannot be drawn as one and have middle-story settings...
(I know that here I could use associative railings, but I have other situations in the project, kind of difficult to explain them and I decided to use this example to preview them too )
[2021-] Archicad 24 5004 NOR FULL / Mac OS 10.15.7 / 3,5 GHz Intel Core i7 / 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096
[2018-2020]: AC22.6025 Mac10.14.6
Learn and get certified!