BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What do you use Complex Profiles for??

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good day,

I'm just getting into using complex profiles and I'm starting to develop a good list of favorites for our office. As of now, I only have some complex profiles for foundation walls with a footing and sill plate.

I am wondering, what do you use complex profiles for? I would think that you wouldn't use them for floors (as you can use the slab tool pretty nicely) or other parts of the building that can be easily modeled with other parts of the program, though I may be completely wrong on this.

Reply away...
34 REPLIES 34
Dwight
Newcomer
The complex profile replaces the now-obsolete Profiler because it is easily edited. And can follow a spline....

It makes more realistic sectional form:

Like:

Easily-edited domes.

Making shapes with interesting terminations and edges.

Any multi-material assemblies.

Situations with many unconnected parts that should remain in an exact relationship while being extruded.

Beams that slope.
010.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
The ribs are all complex profiles.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Following a spline
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
Many separate things in a matrix
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok ok, maybe I should have been more clear. I'm more interested in a residential scope (we are a very small firm, do not do stadiums!). They are beautiful and well drawn, but I don't think I'll be doing anything like that.

I guess I got what I asked for!

Great examples though!
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Steven:

Also good for typical trim/finish elements, such as exterior corner boards (use as column), or eave & soffit assemblies (use as beam).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not quite residential, but you'll get the idea...

On image below used for everything including and above the lower cornice profile, as well as base plinth and window sill. Also interior trim (skirtings, cornices, dado rails etc).

On other jobs: fretwork, bullnose verandahs, anything that can be made with an extrusion.

Just be careful which tool you use (beam and wall in particular) as they clean up funny sometimes, and can require playing around with priorities.
Cambridge Museum 02.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
fuzzytnth3
Booster
We use Complex Profiles for a lot of things such as walls, windows, stairs, stair balustrades, parapets, copes and flashings to name but a few.

Here is an example of house we are working on just now. I've added labels explaining what Complex Profiles were used for.

AC versions 3.41 to 25 (UKI Full 5005).
Using AC25 5005 UKI FULL
Mac OSX 10.15.7 (19G2021) Mac Pro-2013 32gbRam AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
Learn and get certified!