Design forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winder stairs with Stairmaker (ArchiCad 8.1)

Michael Smith
Newcomer
Hi,

Alot of the jobs that we do require a winder stair.

In Australia the building code states that the quater landing may include 3 winders, each winding 30°. Is there any way of creating this stair in Stairmaker? Every time that I try and create this type of stair using "L-Run winder at upper end" it rotates the last riser coming out of the winder and also keeps telling me that the solid stair slabs do not intersect. It seems as if Stairmaker is not capable of offering this service.

Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

Stephen Dolbee
Booster
Michael wrote:
Hi,It seems as if Stairmaker is not capable of offering this service.
Unfortunately, it's not. We also frequently use winders and we have never been able to get the desired result. I usually use slabs for the winders and straight-run stairs to and from them. Time consuming, but the only way I can make them the way they are built.

Steve
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6

Djordje
Contributor
Stephen wrote:
Michael wrote:
Hi,It seems as if Stairmaker is not capable of offering this service.
Unfortunately, it's not. We also frequently use winders and we have never been able to get the desired result. I usually use slabs for the winders and straight-run stairs to and from them. Time consuming, but the only way I can make them the way they are built.
Tried ArchiStairs?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995

Michael Smith
Newcomer
Steve .... thanks for that .... it is what I ended up doing. It is a little slower and unfortunately the handrails get to be a pain .... oh well.

Djordje .... I knew that you could get add ons that do a better job than Stairmaker but it is difficult to get the company to spend the additional money on "productivity tools" when the program really should have been able to preform this task to start with. If I recall correctly it has been a problem for a number of versions ..... I would have thought that it would have been rectified .... oh well you can only dream .... or spend more on upgrades.

Michael

Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Just my two cents on the desk...

I'm just a bit astonished: we released till now 15.000 ArchiStair free-of-charge (that means no additional cost for the users) but it seems to me that they never reached the users... where they are?

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Product Manager

Graphisoft SE Italian Branch Office | Via Orsato 38 Marghera Venezia 30175 Italy |
phone: +39 041 932388 | fax: +39 041 920031 | Skype: fabrizio.diodati |
email: fdiodati@graphisoft.com

Djordje
Contributor
Michael wrote:
Djordje .... I knew that you could get add ons that do a better job than Stairmaker but it is difficult to get the company to spend the additional money on "productivity tools" when the program really should have been able to preform this task to start with.
Just to point out that ArchiStairs are (were?) free.

I do agree that StairMaker is way overdue for a rehaul or, better, replacement ...
Djordje

Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Just to point out that ArchiStairs are (were?) free.
Just to be clear and honest:

We released more than 15000 ArchiStair free of charge (once again I hope they reached the users! ) all over the world.
Some Distributors decided to provide them only to ArchiCAD 9 users others provided them to any ArchiCAD 8.x user.

Now we will start to sell it just like the other add-ons...
I hope anybody will fell himself... "betrayed"!

Let me say that one of the thing convinced us to start to sell it is that providing something free-of-charge it really more difficult than sell it!

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Product Manager

Graphisoft SE Italian Branch Office | Via Orsato 38 Marghera Venezia 30175 Italy |

Adalbert Albu
Newcomer
I was burned by add-ons that refused to work with the next AC upgrade (window and door maker from some NZ wizard and cabinet maker , $500+ site modelers worth sh*t). I warn all potential users to stay away from add-ons.

ADVICE:
If GS is not capable producing a
Albert Albu
AA Architectural, Inc.
1019 Bloomfield Avenue Suite 2A West Caldwell NJ 07006
(973) 808-1977 www.architecturalinc.com
mac osx - win xp AC3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13

Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I'm really sorry you are not happy with addons.

But let me say we always produced and released free of charge all the compatibility add-ons (I mean the versions needed for using the add-on with the newest ArchiCAD version): our add-ons for ArchiCAD 9 have been released before ArchiCAD 9!!!

So please, don't suggest something like this...

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Product Manager

Vitruvius
Participant
I'd refute AA's caution regarding Add-Ons.

I've been using Cigraphs Add-Ons for about 3 years with satisfaction. Upgrades are available whenever AC releases a new version and any bugs or problems are usually promptly addressed by Fabrizio.

Let's face it, AC is a great programme but there are areas where Add-On's provide a time & money saving solution. Like anything else, its worth ascertaining whether your add-on has been designed by an individual or by a company with the commensurate research and support capacity.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cameron Hestler, Architect

AC 24 & 25 (3011) / MacMini i7-8700B @ 3.2 GHz / 32GB Ram / 512GB SSD

LG Ultrafine 4K monitor 22" & 27”

Mac OS 11.6 Big Sur

Karl Ottenstein
Adalbert wrote:
I was burned by add-ons that refused to work with the next AC upgrade (window and door maker from some NZ wizard and cabinet maker , $500+ site modelers worth sh*t). I warn all potential users to stay away from add-ons.
Shame on you for needlessly scaring new users!

Your ridiculous comment is a bit like saying "I bought a Lada and I couldn't get parts and service in the US, therefore I warn everyone to not buy cars!" or, more closely, I bought a plug-in for Photoshop 5 that doesn't work anymore with Photoshop 8 ... therefore nobody should buy Photoshop plug-ins!?

As noted by Cameron, Cigraph is exemplary for not only supporting each new version of ArchiCAD at no extra cost to existing users ... but for also releasing updates that not only fix bugs but enhance the functionality of their products. Their products can be purchased with confidence! And, of course ArchiStair is free.

Karl
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6, iMac Pro

LiHigh
Newcomer
Fabrizio wrote:
Just my two cents on the desk...

I'm just a bit astonished: we released till now 15.000 ArchiStair free-of-charge (that means no additional cost for the users) but it seems to me that they never reached the users... where they are?

Friendly
Fabrizio
If we can download Archistair free from the web..........
Howard Phua

Win 10, Archicad 19 INT

Fabrizio Diodati
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Unfortunatelly no.
The 15000 free of charge copies (DVD boxes) have been already released to all our Distributors thet didn't want more copies and they released (or will release) them to their final users.

Now we are going to sell it...

Friendly
Fabrizio
Fabrizio Diodati
Product Manager

Djordje
Contributor
Fabrizio wrote:
Unfortunatelly no.
The 15000 free of charge copies (DVD boxes) have been already released to all our Distributors thet didn't want more copies and they released (or will release) them to their final users.

Now we are going to sell it...
Even in this neck of desert, without a full blown distributor, ArchiStair is happily used. It all had to do with reading the Forum and reacting in time.
Djordje

Adalbert Albu
Newcomer
I'm really sorry you are not happy with addons.

But let me say we always produced and released free of charge all the compatibility add-ons (I mean the versions needed for using the add-on with the newest ArchiCAD version): our add-ons for ArchiCAD 9 have been released before ArchiCAD 9!!!

So please, don't suggest something like this...

Friendly
Fabrizio

---
Wrong,

Archiforma was not ready with 8, I had to wait quite some time.
Albert Albu
AA Architectural, Inc.
1019 Bloomfield Avenue Suite 2A West Caldwell NJ 07006
(973) 808-1977 www.architecturalinc.com
mac osx - win xp AC3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13

Karl Ottenstein
Adalbert wrote:
Wrong,
Archiforma was not ready with 8, I had to wait quite some time.
That is true. But, it was not Cigraph's fault: no 3rd party add-ons were ready with 8 because Graphisoft did not release the final API kit in a timely manner (in part because of the entire 8.0R1 fiasco). So, yes, I see now where some of your frustration came from!

With 9.0, Graphisoft instituted an entirely new Quality Assurance program throughout beta testing, which also included releasing an updated API with each beta so that 3rd parties could not only be capable of having the add-ons ready to release when 9.0 was released, they could be testing the compatability of their add-ons throughout the beta period.

http://www.graphisoft.com/community/actimes_1.html

You will note that Cigraph add-ons for 9.0 were actually released before customers received 9.0 itself!

The 8.0 experience was not one that anyone - either we customers nor Graphisoft themselves - ever wants to experience again!

Karl
One of the forum moderators   •   AC 25 USA and earlier   •   MacOS 11.6, iMac Pro

Didn't find the answer? Start a new discussion

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!