BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
GDL
About building parametric objects with GDL.

Duplicate Library Parts - which one does Archicad use?

scottjm
Advisor

Hi,

I know duplicate library parts are always a bad idea, but I'm wondering what logic does Archicad apply to decide which library part to use in the file if it does come across two? 

Also, is it always the same one gsm across every instance.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly

I am not sure - you would have to do a bit of experimenting to find out.

If I had to guess, I would say the first one as the libraries are loaded.

But without experimenting, that is just a guess.

When you select the object and go into the settings dialogue, you will see in the list which library it is from.

Usually it is not a problem if they are identical objects.

But if they have been modified and are now different, that will definitely be a problem.

You should then remove the duplicate that you don't want  from the libraries and re-load them.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

In the event that you have modified an object and created a new object, such as objects within a LCF file that you have not repacked, I have found that Saving As to the Embedded will change the GUID of the object removing the duplicate. You can then export it to the relevant location and delete it from the Embedded.

The GS article on GUID says that Saving As itself should change the GUID, but I have found that this is not the case unless it is to the Embedded.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Opening an object and 'Saving As' will create a new GSID no matter where you save it to, embedded library or a folder on your hard drive or network.

Copying an object file or renaming it through your operating system does not create a new GSID which is when you can end up with duplicates.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Will have to figure out what I was doing differently then with one of my custom door leafs and an old CI object I modified a few projects back...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

If I remember correctly, it is totally random which version of the Library Part Archicad will use so there is no point in trying to find some system in it. It is just best to have no duplicates in your Project File, that is the best way to handle it.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
scottjm
Advisor

Thanks for the response guys! Much appreciated.

This is what I suspected @Laszlo Nagy  and have experienced over the years.

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe
runxel
Legend

Most of all Archicad differs between two objects by their GUID (I think introduced in v10).

So 1 name, 2 different GUIDs will work (only the detailed library loading report will warn).

BUT since GDL calls are done by name, this is still not good. The individual main objects are working flawlessly, tho.

2 names, but only 1 GUID will give you the duplication warning. In this case only the object loaded first will be used and loaded. So I don't acutally think this will be "random". The loading goes alphabetically, so if you have two folders "AAAA" and "BBBB" only the object in folder "AAAA" will be loaded with the one in "BBBB" marked as the duplicate.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Learn and get certified!