BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

AC 12 Rendering Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

Im working in AC12 on an iMac trying to do a rendering of an 1857 Listed Victorian building, there is an earlier 2 Storey Farmhouse and outbuildings attached to the rear. There are twiddly bits all over the buildings.

The purpose of the rendering is to convince the planners that the proposed extension will not make the building any worse than it already is, so there are interior and exterior renderings.

I will admit that I do not do that many renderings but this problem is likely to send me even further round the bend than I am already.

I should mention that this project in various incarnations started out as pen/pencil and ink in 1976, moved to AutoCAD in 1994 and every version of ArchiCAD since 7.

The farmhouse and outbuildings are stone which renders quite nicely.

The main Building is brickwork with limestone ornamentation which works ok.

The site is sloping so the lawns and parking areas are meshes.

The problem is that the stonework rendering is bleeding into the walls, floors, ceilings, roofs and meshes in cross section and nothing I do can shake it.

I have switched materials and disabled and enabled materials to no avail, started and restarted the program and the machine and nothing I do seems to make any difference.

Has anybody any suggestions.

Kind Regards

Chris Dennehy
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Picture > 1000 words. Can you give us a screen shot?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't attached anything before so I'm not sure if this will work.

As you can see I took a fair number of shortcuts when I was building the model not expecting to have to render it - the drawings look ok, but I'm going to have to fix it up properly before I can let it out.

The cross sections are where the main building abuts part of the farm outbuildings.

Strangely enough if I select only a mesh and render it, it shows the brown soil which is what it's supposed to.

I've even edged the mesh away from the walls but no difference.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another Section
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Chris,

This is a function of the '3d cutting plane' settings. It allows you to set all the geometry that is cut by a marquee or a 3d cutting plane to a single custom material (as you have in your screen shots), or by their own materials.

Look in 'View' > 'Elements in 3d view' > '3D Cutting Planes' and you will see an option to choose between either setting. (Note that you may have to re-do the marquee to see the change in the 3d window.)

Hope that helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
Hi Chris,

This is a function of the '3d cutting plane' settings......

Look in 'View' > 'Elements in 3d view' > '3D Cutting Planes' and you will see an option to choose between either setting. (Note that you may have to re-do the marquee to see the change in the 3d window.)

Hope that helps!
It did and thank you very much, I would never have looked there for it.

And

Do not be working at that time of night, I used to work 15 hrs a day 7 days and on occasion 48 hrs on the trot and what do you get - heart attack and 7 stents in the ticker.

I'm more or less retired now except for some clients who don't know when to give up but you would not believe the weight thats lifted from your shoulders when you don't have to meet deadlines.

Once again thank you very much.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chris wrote:
It did and thank you very much, I would never have looked there for it.

And

Do not be working at that time of night, I used to work 15 hrs a day 7 days and on occasion 48 hrs on the trot and what do you get - heart attack and 7 stents in the ticker.
Glad you sorted it!

And trust me, I'm not working very hard in the evenings! There's nothing on television, so I have my music pumping away in the background and I 'play' around with ArchiCAD. I'm more relaxed than I am during the day!

Best of luck!
Learn and get certified!