Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

How to send architectural dimensions to structural dimensions?

LeeJaeYoung
Virtuoso

In the architecture plan, copy the dimensions and lines with CTRL+C, go to the structure plan, copy them to another place, change the line layer, and move them back to the origin.
Is the way I'm doing it right? Something is strange, so I ask.

AC27 on window 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

GerryLeonor_0-1665968990270.png

so it looks like you've moved from "Entire Model" to "Core Only" in the Partial Structure Display (PSD).

unfortunately, you can't copy dimensions from one PSD to another AND keep the dimensions linked to whatever element they were dimensioning. you either do the dimensioning twice for each PSD, or like what you've done, copy from Entire Model into Core Only & re-link the dimensions.

If you don't re-link the dimensions, these will remain Static Dimensions & that's a really bad thing to have in a Structural plan.

the way we've been doing it is to avoid using PSD in plan drawings & simply control the display using layer combinations. we have split our walls between concrete VS lightweight walls, & this gives us flexibility over structure display.

I think we've only ever used PSD in elevations / sections when we need to dimension tilt panel / precast wall penetrations. we never use PSD in plan.

AC25 | Win10 | 64 bit | 16Gb RAM |Intel i7 8700 @ 3.20Ghz

come join our unofficial Discord server
https://discord.gg/XGHjyvutt8

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

When you say "Structure Plan" what do you mean? Is it another View? Does it have a different Layer Combination? Or is the Partial Structure Combination option switched from "Entire Model" to "Core Only"?

Could you show some screenshots about what is strange? What is the exact issue that is not working for you as expected?

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

LeeJaeYoung_0-1665890101403.png

Ctrl+C

LeeJaeYoung_1-1665890142202.pngLeeJaeYoung_2-1665890168528.pngLeeJaeYoung_3-1665890235638.png

The reason I move to the side is to change the layer of the whole line like dimension.
Change the layer to S-CenterLine and bring it back in place.
I think I may have misunderstood something because I am studying on my own.
I was asked how you do it.

LeeJaeYoung_4-1665890476638.png

AC27 on window 11
LeeJaeYoung
Virtuoso

I've been working hard to explain to you...
Just put on the Archicad Layer on the spot, change the layer and come back. I was doing this because I thought it would be difficult to select due to other lines and existing layers, but I was doing something stupid. ^^ Thanks for your interest.

AC27 on window 11
Solution
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

GerryLeonor_0-1665968990270.png

so it looks like you've moved from "Entire Model" to "Core Only" in the Partial Structure Display (PSD).

unfortunately, you can't copy dimensions from one PSD to another AND keep the dimensions linked to whatever element they were dimensioning. you either do the dimensioning twice for each PSD, or like what you've done, copy from Entire Model into Core Only & re-link the dimensions.

If you don't re-link the dimensions, these will remain Static Dimensions & that's a really bad thing to have in a Structural plan.

the way we've been doing it is to avoid using PSD in plan drawings & simply control the display using layer combinations. we have split our walls between concrete VS lightweight walls, & this gives us flexibility over structure display.

I think we've only ever used PSD in elevations / sections when we need to dimension tilt panel / precast wall penetrations. we never use PSD in plan.

So how do you deal with the windows?

AC27 on window 11

i don't quite understand what you mean.

do you mean "how do you re-link the copy/pasted dimensions to window / door openings?"

we have split our walls between concrete VS lightweight walls, & this gives us flexibility over structure display.

I understood that this article separates the concrete wall and the finished wall. Like REVIT...
So I asked you how to deal with the relationship between the window and the finishing wall in concrete.
sorry if i misunderstood

AC27 on window 11
Gerry Leonor
Advisor

ah, i see. apologies -- you never mentioned anything about the lightweight VS conc wall split & windows.

we put the main window (to be numbered & scheduled) in the concrete wall, while the lightweight / finish lining wall also has a window. this 2nd window (a false window) uses the Opening Only type of window & will not be scheduled. it contains no information other than to provide an opening for the lightweight wall to the actual window in the concrete wall.

when you move from Entire Model to Core Only, the lightweight wall is removed (so is the false window) & all that remains is the concrete wall with the schedule window, which, will be changed from your normal plan view window to an opening only display. you can then start to dimension.