Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

Select Visible in 3D Window?

Gus
Newcomer
I'm wondering if there is a way to select only that which is visible in a 3D Window, not including objects that are within the view cone but behind other objects. My reason for wanting to do this is so that I can export 3D scenes that I want to render with as view objects as possible to make rendering faster. Any ideas out there on how to do this kind of thing? If not, then this would be a great wishlist item.
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
3 REPLIES 3
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Not as you described, but you can make 3d custom cutting planes easily in plan view. If you save the camera, show it in plan view you can see the viewport angles and cut away that which falls outside. I would recommend making the cutting planes slightly wider angle than the camera. You should only need two planes that meet just behind the camera to be safe.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Gus
Newcomer
Stupid Question, but probably has an easy answer:
I can't figure out how to save a 3D Window View as a camera (so that I might create a movie out of multiple cameras, and do other things).
www.michaelgustavson.com Architect NY WI IL
Madison WI
Archicad21 MEP EcoDesSTAR Win10-64-bit
EliteBook8570W Corei7-3630QM@2.40GHz
QuadroK2000m RAM32 (2)250GBSSDs
4 Monitors Internet:4Up60Down
mikas
Expert
When you are in 3D window view:
View - 3D Navigation Extras - Put A camera into the path

It seems that you can't save a camera with right mouse click from organizer or navigator palette, though one would think maybe you should be able to.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS