BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Text Editor Formatting Options

rob2218
Enthusiast
this is a disaster.........how can I make the "text box" formatting actually be a "box-typed" format?

Text-Editor-Spacing.png
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
Not quite sure what you want.
You have chosen left and right justification which is what Archicad has done.
Everything is justified to the left and those lines of text with spaces have justified to the right as well.
The last two lines of text have no spaces so can't justify to the right.

If you are wanting the text equally stretched across the text box (i.e. between all characters and not just spaces between words) then this is not possible.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Just playing with this (in 19 at least) and it seems the very last line never justifies both left and right even if it is words with spaces.
Other lines will not justify both either if you use carriage returns.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Rob:

Maybe a difference between Mac and PC. I get both between-word spacing and between-letter spacing when switching to Justified. You are getting only between-word spacing. In your example, the line "combustion gas" will get very hard to read if the between-letter spacing is implemented.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Barry Kelly
David that is interesting about the letter spacing on Mac.
But I see the first line is not justified because of the carriage return and the last line is not justified either.
This seems like a bug to me as I can't think why these should not be justified the same as the rest of the text.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Stress Co_
Advisor
Sort of works for me (MacOS 10.9)

Adjusting the size of the label helps to fine tune.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
But I see the first line is not justified because of the carriage return and the last line is not justified either.
This seems like a bug to me as I can't think why these should not be justified the same as the rest of the text.
The justification is only for full lines of text (no carriage return). This makes sense, for example, what if the last line was just the word "cut"? The "c" would be on the left, the "u" in the middle, and the "t" on the right, rendering the word unreadable. A word processing application, like Word, works the same way.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Barry Kelly
David wrote:
what if the last line was just the word "cut"? The "c" would be on the left, the "u" in the middle, and the "t" on the right, rendering the word unreadable.
Understandable for a single word but what if there are multiple words.
Certainly on the last line in my example shouldn't that be justified - there is no carriage return there.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Barry wrote:
Certainly on the last line in my example shouldn't that be justified - there is no carriage return there.
That is not the common solution for the last line, normally only full lines of text are justified. Look at any newspaper column, contract documents or how Microsoft Word handles justified text. In this Wiki article it states that "justify is equal to left justify" unless the application has other options, which is rare.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Learn and get certified!