Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Wall position classifier

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. I am currently preparing contract documentation and I am scheduling which of my walls are External walls and which are Internal walls. This is coming into the schedule through the Wall category 'Position' classification. There are three options pre-set there: Exterior, Interior and Undefined. I have two questions.
Firstly, can I add a fourth option to this list for Fittings (bulkheads, splashbacks, partitions etc - other instances where I have used the Wall tool but it is not really an Internal wall)?
Secondly, can I change the words 'Exterior' and 'Interior' to 'External and Internal'? Interestingly the ifc code for Position is IsExternal , so I'm hoping there might be somewhere I can change this classifier. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
I will do custom properties group, with properties for what I want to schedule and applied to the walls, that way I can classify my walls any way I want.

Example,
Property Group = My Wall Classes
Properties:
Location: External, Internal, Parapet, Foundation, Garden, Fence.

This is just an example, then you can Schedule the walls and filter them by these properties.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks arqrivas. That might be a work-around, if the original position classifier can't be changed. (Which I need to have as I am transferring the model to the rest of the team who are on Revit.) So I would have to enter that information in for each wall twice.

How do you do a Custom Properties group?

Thanks
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You would probably want to watch this playlist on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_5wknEYVsA&list=PLnXY6vLUwlWWXsVJ3fRGNxuKLoHPkpx1I

It talks about Element Properties that were introduced in ARCHICAD 20. You will find the answers to your specific question in clip 3 and 4.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Laszlo, that is helpful. However, any idea why my Property Manager is blank when I open it? There are no 'properties' available. Do I have to set this up manually?

Thanks
runxel
Legend
DaniMa wrote:
Thanks Laszlo, that is helpful. However, any idea why my Property Manager is blank when I open it? There are no 'properties' available. Do I have to set this up manually?
This is most likely the result of migrating your old v19 template.
Open the template which came with Archicad (either made by GS or the reseller), then export the settings in the property manager and import it into your template.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Runxel

That fixed my Property Manager issue. (BTW Migrating my v19 template? I wish. My template is a poor old v16 one...)

But, I still cannot change this classification, I believe because it is an Archicad standard 'Category' for all elements, not a Property. So perhaps it just can't be done?

Thanks all.
runxel
Legend
DaniMa wrote:
That fixed my Property Manager issue. (BTW Migrating my v19 template? I wish. My template is a poor old v16 one...)

But, I still cannot change this classification, I believe because it is an Archicad standard 'Category' for all elements, not a Property. So perhaps it just can't be done?
You're welcome.
4 versions! That's quite a difference

Yes, maybe the other posters were not clear enough here: It is hardcoded and can not be changed. That is why you could make a property just for that.
Properties can be scheduled (interactively!) – just use the new made property; the video shows how to.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for clearing that up Runxel, I appreciate it. I know how to make unique Properties, as I do that for other items, so really just wanted to know if this wording could be changed.

Now I know it can't I can work around it. Thank you for answering my question!

Now, to add 'updating my templates' to my to-do list also!
JaseBee
Advocate
Hi Guys,

We're on the cusp of coming up to AC21 (currently on AC19), and I've been playing around a little with 20&21.

I've always done my walls on separate layers (internal, external, masonry, ect) and so I've never really bothered with the position classification.

What are the advantages of doing it with a property value?

The only difference I can think of would be you're unable to independently switch off or wireframe the groups of walls (through the layer manager)... or am I missing something about the properties values? Can they manipulate the walls display through graphic overrides (more than just picking the pens and fills).

Just curious.
Jase
AC 24 5004 AUS
iMac OSX (10.13.6) 4.2ghz i7
8gb ram/8gb vram