BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Visualization
About built-in and 3rd party, classic and real-time rendering solutions, settings, workflows, etc.

missing slabs in fly-through

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi talkers

I have been trying making fly-throughs for a multi-media presentation of a project.

At first it worked well, but as the model got more complex, the fly-throughs failed to show slabs, that was modelled as terrain.

I did not let the model be calculated for every frame, as this would take forever with 700 frames all in all.

I suspekt that it has something to do with lack of "power", but the computer doing the rendering was a pentium 4 at 2,3 Mhz, and with some 512 MB RAM, as I recall it. The OS was Win XP, running on a fujitsu-siemens machine. Not the fastest, maybe, but slow is okay, as long as the result is right.

Also I can´t seem to get more than 10 images pr. second, when saving the fly-through as a quicktime movie, with no image compession. The fly-through sort of "hops" back to 10 frames / second, even if I choose 25.

I think I can edit these problems out of the presentation in I-Movie, but I would still like to know what went wrong.

If any of you has an explanation, I will be happy to hear it.

best regards
Sara
4 REPLIES 4
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
ArchiCAD 7 has a bug that limits movies to 10 fps. You're probably better off saving a series of Bitmap images and stitching them together in you iMovie (if that software can do it). Either that or add more cameras or more Inbetween Frames, from the Camera Tool's 'Path...' button. Or upgrading to AC8.1!

This may also solve your slab problem. Let us know!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi talkers

First thanks to Link for letting me know about the bug in ArchiCAD 7.0.

I made the fly-through in ArchiCAD 8.1 instead - and I got my 25 frames per second, and the slabs were calculated just fine. But I also let the model recalculate for every frame just in case, and surprisingly, it didnt take longer (?)

700 frames took about 36 hours on a pentium 4 processor with a gigabyte RAM.

thanks again.

Sara

PS
I tried to make 700 bitmaps for sticthing them together for a movie - but Imovie sure couldnt do the job. I quickly confused the pictures, and it would take really forever to do it right - importing every single image.

It requires professional movie-editing software, I think, with more control over every single frame.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I tried to make 700 bitmaps for sticthing them together for a movie - but Imovie sure couldnt do the job. I quickly confused the pictures, and it would take really forever to do it right - importing every single image.

It requires professional movie-editing software, I think, with more control over every single frame.

I've heard Quicktime Pro does an easy job of this, but I haven't done it myself, so maybe someone else (Stefan or Mark ?) would like to comment?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Many rendering packages support sequential image rendering,

example:
imagename_00001.tif, etc. - for hundreds of images.

Doing a rendering this way allows you the flexibility to create several size versions and length versions of the same rendering. Also if the computer crashes you can start back where the computer left off.

QuickTime Pro available at Apple.com is a very inexpensive swiss army knife that will load the sequence, IMPORT/SEQUENTIAL click on the first frame and all will load automatically.

Then EXPORT choose a format, size and let it rip.

ALSO - if your goal is to use iMovie and digital camera gear (cam corder), stick with the 720 x 486 D1 standard at 29 fps - EXPORT from Quicktime in the ANIMATION version of Quicktime. This creates a file that is good quality and can be edited by iMovie, output to digital, burned to tape or DVD.
Learn and get certified!