BIMx
About BIMx (mobile, web and desktop), connection to BIMcloud, and related technical questions.

new vs old bimx

Dave Brach
Advocate
I just realized my BIMx pro on iPad pro is legacy and downloaded the new viewer app. I have about 30 projects on the old app, which I use as a portfolio with prospective clients. Do I need to download each project one-by-one onto the new app?? also when I go to the transfer site to grab a new project from my firm, it wants to open it in the old app--how do I change that default? do I need to delete the old app? (I'd like to keep both for now)
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
43 REPLIES 43
schagemann
Enthusiast
I do not think that you can transfer them easily on the iPad between apps - unless you have them saved in the Files app?

Two ways I could think of though (without having tested them though):

A. connect your iPad to your MBPro, open iTunes and in it select the iPad via the icon next to Music menu > File Sharing > BIMx (old), then drag the projects from the list to the new app;

B. Have you tried air dropping the BIMx form your MBPro to your iPad - it should then ask you where you want to save / open the BIMx files in.

Hope that helps.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Stress Co_
Advisor
Dave wrote:
I just realized my BIMx pro on iPad pro is legacy and downloaded the new viewer app. I have about 30 projects on the old app, which I use as a portfolio with prospective clients. Do I need to download each project one-by-one onto the new app?? also when I go to the transfer site to grab a new project from my firm, it wants to open it in the old app--how do I change that default? do I need to delete the old app? (I'd like to keep both for now)
Read Minh's 2nd response here:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69318

Yeah, I'm not doing that. It's easier for me, to airdrop.
It does, as Schagemann says, promt you to choose which app you want to open the file in.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your question!

We made an article about how you can transfer BIMx model between BIMx Mobile Applications on iOS, to prepare for the transition from the Legacy app to the new BIMx app. The guide can be found here: https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/84636/

I hope that it helps!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Stress Co_
Advisor
Hi Minh:
Is there any chance the new BimX will incorporate the
favorite feature of Legacy BimX?

It's the only reason I keep using the old version.
Marc Corney, Architect

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Marc,

Thank you for the question!

The ability to save Favorite Views was moved to BIMx PRO subscription. Although it is now a paid feature, BIMx PRO also gives you the ability to use Airprint and Google Cloud Print, as well as open unlimited 3D model size. I would highly recommend checking it out!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Stress Co_
Advisor
Hi Minh:
Thanks for your reply.
Yes to that (I'm using BimX PRO).
I was referring to the "STAR" as a quicker/easier why to add
layouts to Favorite Views. You don't have to rename each view.
Marc Corney, Architect

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Marc,

We introduce a redesigned Favorites gallery with the new BIMx app. After discussing with our BIMx expert, I found out that the removal of the "star" is a design decision, although in this case I can see that it's a feature loss. Therefore we entered it as a wish. Hopefully, the feature will be reimplemented soon!

Thank you once again for your feedback!
Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

The new BIMx is a poor successor to the Legacy version:

1. The rendered views with G.I. look pale and flat with lack of depth. Almost unsuable.
2. They took out the feature to use stereovision glasses (Red/Blue). Cardboard is "not" a viable substitute. I previously passed out R/B glasses to my clients to view on their own, or have multiple people at a meeting sit around a large screen TV with glasses on (for "important" presentations). Only ONE devices is needed vs. everyone needing their own device for cardboard. Also, with the glasses, an experienced BIMx navigator can run the show, instead of newbie clients failing in their tour on their own. Plus... no one gets sick with the glasses.
3. They deleted the option for orthographic/parallel views and only allow for perspective, which makes it very, very difficult to have a model that spins around the center.

Not since Evernote bought Penultimate has an app gone from hero to zero in one upgrade. I pray they never take away the Legacy version on the App Store because that is my bread and butter.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Legacy BIMx Views vs. New BIMx Views (both using G.I.)

The difference is dramatically noticeable from Legacy to New. Rationalized explantations will do us no good. We need the quality back, (as well as stereogram 3D and parallel views).

Make BIMx Great Again.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System